Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mini Red Dot for Plinker?

jbultman

I posted this question on a different discussion board and didn't get as many responses as I thought. I think I've found the right one now...

Any who, I'm poking for a mini reflex/open style red dot to put on a pinker for steel matches. It's going to go on a Smith and Wesson M&P22, with a Make picatinny rail mount. I would like to spend no more than $100 because I'm not sure 100% if I'm going to like the set up.

I was originally looking at the Bushnell First Strike, Vector Sphinx, Primary Arms Mini Reflex and the Leatherwood Hi-lux Tac-dot. But didn't know about durability and reliability.... they all look pretty similar to me.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Edited by jbultman

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure how the make mount works, does it attach to the dovetail?

The only thing i would worry about wroth the m&p if it mounts this way would be the extra weight on the slide. I don't know if it would make it not function.

You can either pay someone to mill the back of the slide to get a lower flush fit or call PA and double check that it uses the same mounting plate of the Burris FF.

Milling would definitely be the more costly route, but the weight of the sight would be almost offset by the metal removed to mount it.

What are you guys talking about? The Mako, not Make, mount is a frame rail mount that uses the Picatinny rail and holds the optic over the slide.

Slide weight, optic durability, etc won't be an issue; the frame mount won't shift it around.

Get the cheapest one you can find to test the idea out, no point in worrying about brand if you're just thinking about a dot in general. Most of them are all coming from the same place. The Vectors are great for 20 bucks.

post-40599-0-59088300-1431828246_thumb.j

Edited by KSwift

I've got that model on my Daisy 747 pellet pistol and have put 10K or more pellets thru it and the dot has never changed. Realize the recoil is not in .44 Mag league but with pumping and shooting it has lived through quite a bit of vibration in it's lifetime.