Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 pro trigger

RG86

OK so I have a few questions. I just purchased a 9 pro 5 inch and while i like it a lot I would like to clean up the trigger a bit. I looked at the apex kit but from what I understand it will reduce sear set distance and lighten the pull a but it increases the amount of over travel. This seems like a 50/50 split to me. The reset is nice but if it adds over travel whats the point? BTW I am shooting in production and have no plans or desire to switch divisions. I would like to drop the pull down a bit to somewhere around 3.5 pounds if I can. Does anyone have any suggestions? BTW I have about 300 rounds through it right now. (and several hours of dry fire) does it lighten up with more rounds like my tanfoglio did?

I am working on an internal trigger stop to eliminate over travel, because while I don't know if there is more since the apex kit install, but it is definitely too much for my liking. FWIW my gun is a production competition only and NOT for self defense.

Not that you care, but I have the APEX competition action enhancement kit. But, I didn't put the lightened striker spring in. Heard too much about light primer strikes too take a chance. I also polished everything to do with the trigger, and even though it's not as light as it could be with the light striker spring, it is definetly a smooth, crisp trigger now. Only down fall is too much over travel.

I am working on an internal trigger stop to eliminate over travel, because while I don't know if there is more since the apex kit install, but it is definitely too much for my liking. FWIW my gun is a production competition only and NOT for self defense.

The forward set sear and trigger decreases overtravel and pretravel. The AEK will smooth and lighten the trigger, but doesn't do much for the travel. (I'm assuming you didn't install the FSS kit since it's not legal for production)

Thats the thing, from all the videos I have seen, the over travel with the apex kit is pretty noticeable. This is a production class competition gun only. I think I may just have to get used to it the way it is. I was running some drills today with about 25-29 splits. (with 95% alphas) which considering its a new weapon and a new to me platform I am pretty happy with. I think after a few thousands rounds through her in the next month or so I should be able to get the time down to something I am happier with. This may be the pistols that moves me over to the dark side of Tupperware guns........

The forward set sear and trigger decreases overtravel and pretravel. The AEK will smooth and lighten the trigger, but doesn't do much for the travel. (I'm assuming you didn't install the FSS kit since it's not legal for production)
Yes, that's exactly it. I do not have the fss kit as it is ill legal for production. I do however have the competition action kit and it has made my trigger significantly better, but I still want to limit the over travel without modifying anything externally. So,I am working on an internal trigger stop to limit over travel

Thats the thing, from all the videos I have seen, the over travel with the apex kit is pretty noticeable. This is a production class competition gun only. I think I may just have to get used to it the way it is. I was running some drills today with about 25-29 splits. (with 95% alphas) which considering its a new weapon and a new to me platform I am pretty happy with. I think after a few thousands rounds through her in the next month or so I should be able to get the time down to something I am happier with. This may be the pistols that moves me over to the dark side of Tupperware guns........

Here's a link to a post I made on the S&W forum, look at post 18 and you will see the actual measurements that I made comparing a stock M&P trigger to an Apex FSS trigger. I didn't like how everyone was using general terms to describe it (better, a little bit, pretty noticeable (sorry :roflol: )) So I made some actual measurements. I think a lot of the confusion happens because Apex makes different kits, the only one that will appreciably change trigger travel is the Forward set sear and matching trigger. http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/322411-wow-apex-fss-t-kit.html