Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starline 38 super brass vs 38 super +p brass

bigarm

I bid on some Starline 38 super brass a few days ago and have not been outbid yet. I realized yesterday that the brass I have is +p while the brass I bid on is not. I am not loading for major and have no plans to as I use my 40 STI for USPSA and 3 gun. I may use the 38 super in IDPA. Should I be concerned about the differences in the brass?

As above starline 38 super and 38 super +p are identical apart from the headstamp. All their 38 super brass is as good as +p rated.

This info was from starline.

Someone just the other day was telling me he only uses the starline +p for open major and that I should do the same. Perhaps many years ago they made two different 38 super brass types but not for quite a few years now. They just make the +p to satisfy those who need the marking for some reason.

As others said you should have no issues whatsoever using Starline "non" +P.

When I buy brass from Starline I just get the plain jane 38 super and use it for major without any issues and save the $10 price difference. At the current power factor most of us just aren't stressing the brass all that much. Several of the popular powders/bullet weights can actually be loaded within published specifications from the powder manufacturers and make major. Others are outside the specs, but not by the huge margins that were common in the 175 pf days.

However, I have some brand new +P Starline 38 super brass and have weighed them and compared them to brand new "non" +P cases, and the +P cases are slightly heavier. I don't know if it is due to a different and heavier brass alloy, or if they use the same alloy but the cases are thicker. I've also read statements that there is no difference between the two, so the weight difference I've seen is interesting. It is just an academic issue, though. In the real world when using powders suitable for 38 super major there is no practical difference.