Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules question

WJM

I'm assuming that is humor

My point was things change and we make mistakes, that's why we have to cite a rule when we make a call that negatively affect a shooter. Sometimes you go to look up the rule and find its not what you thought and you make the correction and move on. As long as everyone acts like a grownup about it it's no big deal.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also pretty common for some of us that have been arround the sport a while to remember the way a rule used to be in a previous rule book. There are many small changes in the various editions over the years and it's easy to quote now defunct rule language

That's why you should be required to take a week-long refresher class at uspsa hq every time a new rulebook comes out. Problem solved by more regulation and organizational overhead!! What other problems can we solve with big government today?

what's wrong with Big Government? You sound like a republican .... :)

I try to learn from my mistakes

As do many people. But that doesn't mean we should pull the pin on making the standard harder as you suggested. Besides, most of the bad calls we read about on Enos have to do with scoring, procedurals, or being told something is not legal. Not things for safety infractions (barring that video of the RO not ensuring the range was clear before starting the next shooter).

If an RO makes a bad call and DQ's somebody for something the rules say is OK. Shooter goes, dafuq? RM should get called if at a major match, and should catch it and over rule the bad call. That's the check and balance we have in the current system.

At a local club match I ask that I (as MD) be informed of any DQ's. If nothing else, I am going to want to hear what the DQ is for and the applicable rule (something I've learned working majors). This leads to opening up the rulebook to check ourselves. That's the check and balance for the local match.

And we just be a podunk lil' club in Idaho...

As do many people. But that doesn't mean we should pull the pin on making the standard harder as you suggested. Besides, most of the bad calls we read about on Enos have to do with scoring, procedurals, or being told something is not legal. Not things for safety infractions (barring that video of the RO not ensuring the range was clear before starting the next shooter).

If an RO makes a bad call and DQ's somebody for something the rules say is OK. Shooter goes, dafuq? RM should get called if at a major match, and should catch it and over rule the bad call. That's the check and balance we have in the current system.

At a local club match I ask that I (as MD) be informed of any DQ's. If nothing else, I am going to want to hear what the DQ is for and the applicable rule (something I've learned working majors). This leads to opening up the rulebook to check ourselves. That's the check and balance for the local match.

It is good practice at local matches to note the rule number on the scoresheet when there is a DQ. Again for the reason you stated, to open the rule book and inform the match staff. Also to insure the ruling is correct.

It is good practice at local matches to note the rule number on the scoresheet when there is a DQ. Again for the reason you stated, to open the rule book and inform the match staff. Also to insure the ruling is correct.

It's not just a good idea, it's the law. 10.3.2