Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need help picking RIA 2011

So I realized this weekend I've never really liked my Glock, ever. It's ugly and it's too light, and adding frame weights will make it uglier and will require a new holster. I was waiting to bond with it, but it's just not happening. I shoot Limited and plan on continuing with that.

I'm looking at the two doublestack .40 RIA offerings, the TAC and the PRO Match. The Pro Match is $250 more that the tac version and is supposed to be tuned by a gunsmith, but they both have bull barrels, are about the same weight with full dust covers, and both have fiber optic sights and a magwell. Is it worth the $250 more for the tuning? It seems like my own eventual fine tuning will be re-doing the gains made by buying the PRO Match. But I don't really know.

Also, does anyone have an idea of how long it would take to get one of these if I ordered on from my local FFL? I'd have to sell my current gear first, and I don't want to miss out on the shooting season because I prepaid for a pistol that I couldn't get till Fall. They seem to be sold out everywhere, especially the PRO Match.

Thanks!

RIA is behind on a lot of guns. Selling faster than they can build. Soooo, I'd expect you to be a while getting your gun. Even longer if you get them to customize/tune. There has been some further discussion recently on the 22tcm forum, www.22tcm.net. Might can ask over there also. Couple of the moderators have connections.

I use the tac ultra in 9mm. Model 51679. It's a little rough around the edges. Safety is sharp, trigger is a bit heavy. I cleaned it up with a stone. Good shooter though. After my match sunday, I'm afraid the recoil spring has given up the ghost. New spring is cheap, disappointing that I have less than 1 k roundo through the gun.

I think if I was wanting a pistol for SS, there would be a lot of other options I'd look at along with RIA. But since I shoot limited, there are literally no other options in the same price range as the RIA 51738 and 51782. Because of that, I won't complain about replacing springs if I do get my hands on one. At the price point, I'd expect to be knocking down burrs and whatnot. I'll just be stoked to have a doublestack 2011 for under $1K.

Edited by obsessiveshooter

I just talked to a person at Rock island about availability. He said that the last batch of the 51738 Pro Match Ultra HC .40 were sent out December of last year. That doesn't sound good as far as future availability- they don't seem to be prioritizing that model.