Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 550 much smoother than old 550

I have 2 550's. One is an older one and is set up for large primers and the other I bought last summer and is set up for small primers. I loaded 38 super rounds today on the newer press. It had been a while since I had used the newer press because I was loading rounds that needed large primers - 45 acp, 10 mm, 45-70, etc. I had forgotten how much smoother my new machine works compared to the older machine. It feeds primers better and indexes better. Do you think having Dillon rebuild my older machine will make it work like the newer one? They only charge like $70 plus shipping of course. Seems pretty cheap. If so, I will probably have it done, but I would probably wait until the fall so I would have both machines during our shooting season here.

I don't know how many rounds as it was used when I bought it. I used it several years and then it was stored for about 6 years and now used for a little over a year. Yes I have taken it somewhat apart and cleaned and lubed it up. It works okay, but not as well as the newer one and it is much more finicky with primers than the newer one. I tend to get some primers flipped either completely over and upside down or in sideways whereas the newer one does not seem to do that. I have also aligned it recently.

I would sell it and buy a new one. You will probably come out less than the $70 difference. It is insane how good the resale is on these presses.

I had not really thought of that. Probably a good idea.