Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crossing from IDPA to USPSA questions

I have been shooting IDPA and 2 Gun for the past year, and would like to get back into USPSA (last shot back in 2000). I miss the run and gun of USPSA. I have a Glock 34, 3 magazines, use a blade tech OWB holster and revolution double mag pouch, with a leather belt. Mods I have to the G34 are, 3.5 pound connector and extended slide stop, looking to add some fiber optic sights soon. Will be getting 2 more magazines and 1 more revolution double mag pouch. Thinking about getting the Blade Tech competion speed belt. Looking to shoot in either production class or Limited class. I know in Limited class I would be shooting minor, would it worth it to get a 40 S&W barrel for G20 and shoot Limited class major? My G20 is set up with the same stuff as the G34, except I have added night sights already. Any thing I need to add or any equipment that would be helpful? Any and all tips welcome.

Edited by CoffeedrinkerinNC

For me, I would probably upgrade the sights first since it'll also benefit you in IDPA. Check out Dawson Precision. You may also need to exchange your rear sight if using stock. http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHT+SETS:Glock+Sight+Sets

The next thing I'd probably do is just go shoot a USPSA match with your current gear and take the time to checkout what everyone else is using. We have a number of people that shoot IDPA and USPSA, using more or less the same guns/gear. Register to shoot in Limited until you get more mags, even though you'll be scored minor PF with the 9mm it'll still be fun. Or get those extra mags and more mag pouches and shoot Production. As far as the belt, if you decide to stick with USPSA then get a belt system. I've seen the B-T belts, but not used one. I have belts from CR Speed and DAA, and recommend either of those. The DAA is stiffer than the CR Speed. I prefer single mag pouches, but YMMV.

Later on, if you decide Limited is the division for you, by all means convert your G20 over to .40. I know people who compete in Limited minor and they're having as much fun as I do.

I would just shoot it in production. Maybe get some extended base pads for when you shoot 2 gun ( not familiar with those rules) but production is a lot of fun and you already have a set up for it

Later on, if you decide Limited is the division for you, by all means convert your G20 over to .40. I know people who compete in Limited minor and they're having as much fun as I do.

Why would you do this? What advantage does .40 S&W have over 10mm when shooting major?

Why would you do this? What advantage does .40 S&W have over 10mm when shooting major?
Cost. Unless you get all of your brass back and you reload.

I have have a G20 with 40 barrel and I like it better than the small frame GLOCKS for Major PF I think the large frame and heavier slide soak up more of the recoil and the gun doesn't feel as violent, also with a little fiddling with springs and followers I get a reloadable 21 in my mags with Arredondo extensions. Having said all that I do enjoy shooting Limited at minor PF with one of my 9mm's (this weekend was my 17L) I take a hit on the scoring but that doesn't bother me as i'm just having fun anyway and hosing away with a bunch of mouse farts is a hoot. But in the end it all comes down to what YOU find fun, I have had a lot of fun shooting in all the USPSA divisions and each division has its own draw. I would say if you are returning to USPSA for the run and gun aspect Limited minor is a hoot and about as run and gun as you can get this side of Open division.

I have have a G20 with 40 barrel and I like it better than the small frame GLOCKS for Major PF I think the large frame and heavier slide soak up more of the recoil and the gun doesn't feel as violent, also with a little fiddling with springs and followers I get a reloadable 21 in my mags with Arredondo extensions. Having said all that I do enjoy shooting Limited at minor PF with one of my 9mm's (this weekend was my 17L) I take a hit on the scoring but that doesn't bother me as i'm just having fun anyway and hosing away with a bunch of mouse farts is a hoot. But in the end it all comes down to what YOU find fun, I have had a lot of fun shooting in all the USPSA divisions and each division has its own draw. I would say if you are returning to USPSA for the run and gun aspect Limited minor is a hoot and about as run and gun as you can get this side of Open division.

You want real fun, Biker shoots 357 Sig in Open. He gets any and all 357 Sig brass I find anywhere. But he's from Portland and wears Birkenstocks, with socks, to rainy winter matches.

You want real fun, Biker shoots 357 Sig in Open. He gets any and all 357 Sig brass I find anywhere. But he's from Portland and wears Birkenstocks, with socks, to rainy winter matches.

I have been tempted to shoot 9x25 Dillion, I have the barrel and dies already. I get a really nice fireball out the barrel with a stiff loaded under a 115 gr bullet.

I haven't shot a Match in my Birkenstocks yet but I have shot in sandals in the summer.