Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

thigh holster

sheepdog566

No.

5.2.8 Competitors deemed by the Match Director to be full-time law enforcement officers with arrest powers or military personnel on current active duty orders, may be entitled to use their duty holsters or similar holster and related equipment when such equipment does not strictly satisfy the equipment or other requirements of the declared Division. The Range Master will remain the final authority in respect of the safety and suitability of using such equipment at USPSA matches.
The use of such equipment, except as otherwise permitted in the rules, is restricted to Level I matches only.

Unless I'm missing the "except as otherwise permitted in the rules". because I can't find anything else that permits it beyond Level 1 matches.

Edited by Parallax3D

I wouldn't like to see a thigh holster used, even at Level I. It may be one of several holsters used by duty officers, but the main one is usually on the belt.

Worse would be a shoulder holster or crossdraw holster, even if someone uses them on duty. (I understand that even other officers are uncomfortable around shoulder rigs, and I'd hate to be in the sweep pattern at the buzzer - LE or not.)

I'm not trying to invite an argument of "well, how about SWAT officers", etc. I don't think they generally wear thigh holsters unless they have other tactical weapons, and those aren't allowed in USPSA anyway.

I use a drop leg holster on duty to take the weight off my belt. I've noticed a huge improvement in how my back feels at the end of the night. I've been using a drop leg at local uspsa events to keep my competition gear similar to my patrol gear. I see no safety issues with a drop leg unlike a shoulder holster.

Sheepdog:

Basically; If your duty rig meets the other general rules, and the specific rules for the division you are shooting in, then you can use it in a level 2 or 3 match, (state/sectional championship, or area/national championship.)

The drop-leg holster does not meet the requirements. The exception only exists for level 1 matches.

If you had already another duty holster besides the drop-leg, you could use it for USPSA competition, and it would be legal. That would keep you from having to purchase another holster.

I wouldn't like to see a thigh holster used, even at Level I. It may be one of several holsters used by duty officers, but the main one is usually on the belt.

Worse would be a shoulder holster or crossdraw holster, even if someone uses them on duty. (I understand that even other officers are uncomfortable around shoulder rigs, and I'd hate to be in the sweep pattern at the buzzer - LE or not.)

I'm not trying to invite an argument of "well, how about SWAT officers", etc. I don't think they generally wear thigh holsters unless they have other tactical weapons, and those aren't allowed in USPSA anyway.

*shrugs* We don't get that option at Level I, unless the guy is a Tactical Timmy and not an active duty guy or working LEO. Most guys who wear body armor with any regularity--especially if the body armor external to clothing--wind up using a drop-leg at some point, simply because it's much easier to maneuver with it than with a conventional holster. It's also easier to do things like sit down.

When I was in the AFG, I tried about a half-dozen different variations of carrying while in body armor. The only one that worked well for me was a Blade-Tech DOH, because it put the gun lower than my body armor and out far enough to clear the side SAPI plate. However, it is not a great option for people who worry about weapon retention, unless you just use a DOH hanger for a retention holster.

The rules do allow the MD discretion in everything, so they could just rule the drop-leg as not suitable for their matches and sally forth. Same goes for every other holster other than those specifically fitting the division rules--the MD is the final arbiter. If he thinks it's not safe or doesn't fit the rules in section 5.2, then there's no arguing it.