Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What grease goes well with Lucas Oil products?

Tomorrow, the UPS driver will be delivering a batch of Lucas Oil Contact Cleaner and Extreme Duty Gun Oil. I'm hoping to retire all of my FrogLube products. They work fine, but I expect to get slightly better performance out of the Lucas Oil product line, given how I operate. However, I am missing at least one thing.

What would be a good grease for higher wear locations on all three guns? Or am I over thinking this because the Extreme Duty product won't need the grease in spots? I'm accustomed to putting grease on slide rails and the like.

Maybe one of the Lucas sponsored shooters has an opinion? Thank you all for your input and assistance.

Edited by michael1778

Lucas Red n' tacky works well on the rails/lugs of a 1911 when cut with a little light oil. I've never used it straight, might be a little thick depending on the gun.

Other greases I've used are; slide glide lite - works great straight and cut will a little light oil, and super lube - cut with a little light oil.

(BTW - not sponsored or beholding to anyone)

Lucas Red-n-Tacky grease is available at most local automotive parts stores. Its a NLGI grade 2 grease. I believe Brian's Slide Glide (Lite) is a grade 1 or maybe even a grade 0 grease, which are both lighter than the Lucas grease. I have not found any grease yet that I like better than Slide Glide but I've not used the Re-n-Tacky yet...

No need for the grease with the Lucas Extreme oil. :)

Mark, thank you very much for confirming what my intuition was beginning to tell me. Once I started using it I was thinking, "Wait a sec, do I really need any grease?"

I think it's good stuff. And their customer service when trying to find a local retail location was very nice. They are early in the process of getting a retail network across the country for the Outdoor line.

Actually, "good" doesn't quite cover my thoughts. "Great" may be a better term. I junked all of my biodegradable stuff after I used the Lucas products.

Edited by michael1778

I have some Lucas on the way, too, but I still plan on using grease on at least some of my guns—anodized SIGs, for example. For that, I will keep using Slide Glide (regular or light, depending).

No need for the grease with the Lucas Extreme oil. :)

Mark, can you advise on how you are using it?

Just clean everything well and "pour" it in, keep things wet?

Does it clean up nicely, i.e. not blown away and carbon baked on like CLP-type products? Or more traps carbon/gunk like a grease does so it can all be wiped away easily? Have you found the need for cleaning solvents to get things clean when using it?

From this, "Applying Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil to bores, bolt carriers and gas pistons makes clean-up of powder residue, copper and carbon fouling a much easier task. Apply a light coat to suppressor baffles and mounts to resist carbon build up and to make cleaning quicker and easier", that statement shows that cleaning-wise, it is at least as easy as FireClean, for example, while from your posts it has superior lube/protection qualities, especially in colder weather (which is why I had to stop using FireClean on my M2......).

Is it light enough for M2 bolt/carrier use? For cam pins or wear areas like M2 bolt heads, does it protect like a grease does?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your patience, I haven't seen info on how people are using it, other than pouring it on AR BCGs. :)

To clean, I am using Lucas Contact Cleaner and or an UltraSonic.

I keep stuff wet, but I am not pouring it in. I use a needle oiler and put on a coat that is not dripping, but more than just a wipe.

My M2 was cleaned just before superstition and oiled only with Lucas Extreme. With 3 training classes I have taught, 2 local matches and superstition, a little over 1K rounds. The bolt and carrier are still wet. The hood has some carbon on it, but it wipes right off. AR has about 1500 on it, same general condition and pistol is about 1800, same condition.

The suppressed AR that I did most of the testing with cleaned up easy and I skipped the ultrasonic.

I have the Lucas Contact Cleaner, also. For light use to break in and test new triggers on my new competition pistol and my M&P Shield carry gun, the contact cleaner was total overkill. Really only needed a cloth wipe down and a light plastic brush on the feed ramps. Looking forward to a match soon to give it a run on all my Open/Unlimited guns.