Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wet Tumbling

Kraj

How do you guys get the pins back in after you separate them from the brass? Im currently using a funnel and its geting old. there must be a better way of doing it

I used to just pour the pins back into the tumbler but began to notice I was getting a lot of small brass "shavings"/particles and other "rock-like" debris in my media. I now use a Frankford Arsenal Media Transfer Magnet to move the pins around. They cost about $12 at Amazon.com. Works GREAT!

http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Transfer-Magnet-Stainless/dp/B00HTN659G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428837802&sr=8-2&keywords=frankford+arsenal+magnet

Regarding the Frankford Arsenal magnet:

I made a tool like that out of a hard drive magnet and a plastic bowl. My problem is, after a few "transfers", the pins are now magnetized and clump together. Have you experienced this with the FA magnet?

I used to just pour the pins back into the tumbler but began to notice I was getting a lot of small brass "shavings"/particles and other "rock-like" debris in my media. I now use a Frankford Arsenal Media Transfer Magnet to move the pins around. They cost about $12 at Amazon.com. Works GREAT!

http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Transfer-Magnet-Stainless/dp/B00HTN659G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428837802&sr=8-2&keywords=frankford+arsenal+magnet

I use the same magnet/method. Works perfectly!

Regarding the Frankford Arsenal magnet:

I made a tool like that out of a hard drive magnet and a plastic bowl. My problem is, after a few "transfers", the pins are now magnetized and clump together. Have you experienced this with the FA magnet?

Never!

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you wet tumbling, are you guys leaving the primers in or are you running them through the press to decap first? I just worry about a little moisture staying in primer/pocket even after drying and contaminating the primer/powder when going through a progressive press.

I do not decap pistol brass before wet tumbling and I haven't had any issues with moisture "yet". I figure that is because my brass normally sits for a week or more (usually longer) before I load it.

You could always dry your brass in an old food dehydrator or something similar if you needed it sooner.

Those of you wet tumbling, are you guys leaving the primers in or are you running them through the press to decap first?

I de-prime all my brass before wet tumbling. I bought a Dillon Depriming Die and use it on station 1 on my 550. I remove the locator pin on station 2 and place a piece of brass in 1 with my right hand, cycle the press, advance to 2 and remove the brass with my left. after a while you get into a rhythm like loading and it goes quickly. I believe by removing the primer before tumbling, it allows the solution and pins to flow through the cases cleaning the inside and also cleans the primer pockets. (My theory anyway.) I do understand that I am handling the brass a lot, but for me, it's worth it.

Same here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just pour them out of the media separator back into the tumbler. I deprime before tumbling as I also want to get the primer pockets clean and I think it also works much better for being sure the case is dry before priming.

I've been using SS pins for a year and a half, I don't deprime before cleaning, it's another step I don't want to do. Never had a problem, but my brass has at least 2 weeks to dry. My reloading room is temperature controlled so the time of the year is no factor.

Don't put them in a plastic bag like I did and seal it. Looked at them after a week or more there WAS moisture in the bag and it discolored the once clean cases. I retumbled the brass put it back in a bag but didn't seal it. Been clean and most likely dry a couple weeks later.

I use a magnet to handle my pins. Lets me separate out all the little brass shavings, dirt, etc from my pins.

I also wash my pins in Simple Green a couple times a year as Ive found that lanolin case lube will collect on the pins over time, and my brass wasnt coming out as clean and bright as when I first started.

I decap before tumbling, both rifle and pistol. Gives my son something to do!

One thing to look for if you don't deprime before wet tumbling is sometimes a pin will get stuck in the primer hole, it's not good on decaping tools :surprise:

When wet tumbling initially became popular, most people used .041 sized stainless pins. Two the .041 pins fit ("wedged") nicely into a small primer pocket hole.

Most people have changed over to .047 sized pins to eliminate the issue. When using .047 stainless pins you don't have to worry about pins lodging in a primer pocket. I was looking for some .041 pins a while back to "re-charge" my media but couldn't find any. I retired my .041 pins and re-purchased all new .047 pins. No more broken de-cap rods for me.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/375973/frankford-arsenal-media-transfer-magnet-for-stainless-steel-media?cm_vc=ProductFinding

That one? I got that one and it isnt good for moving any amout of pins. I even called to see if it was defective and they said thats how it works. I have 10 lbs of pins and it would take so many trips i would be better off just scooping it with my hands

I use an old electric cassette tape eraser to move pins. It holds tight and lets go when you release the button. It is just a strong electro magnet.

I try to deprime before tumbling. Otherwise drying time is much longer. I don't think clean primer pockets make much difference, but they do look nicer. I do want clean pockets on my long range precision rounds.

Edited by dddoo7

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/375973/frankford-arsenal-media-transfer-magnet-for-stainless-steel-media?cm_vc=ProductFinding

That one? I got that one and it isnt good for moving any amout of pins. I even called to see if it was defective and they said thats how it works. I have 10 lbs of pins and it would take so many trips i would be better off just scooping it with my hands

Thats the one. Not perfect, but good enough, and better than most cheap crap.