Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax front sight

Bright

Forgive me if this is a repost. Today I did a walk back with my versa max. I've got the original front sight and an xs back sight. I was money at 50 and 75. I did ok at 100 but I can't help but to think that huge front sight was hurting me a bit.

Has anyone changed their front sight to something a tad smaller or do I need to buck up and figure it out with what I got? At the ripe old age of 37 things are getting a bit blurry so I know any miss at 100 was all shooter.

Hi viz makes a lot of sight replacements including a triangle. I'll be honest though a lot of shotgun accuracy issues come from the way you mount the gun and how it fits you. With my versa max I use the mid bead to tell if I'm mounting it correctly (not to aim with, just practicing mounting). when I do it right the mid bead is centered and is below the 50 percent mark of the front sight. Some people refer to this as the figure 8. If I mount incorrectly i can see the mid bead is off to the right and the gun is going to shoot to the right. You can adjust this with the cast off plates that come with the versa max (or you can just place your head and mount correctly). At 100 yards you are going to see mounting error a lot more, you may even see your slugs go high and right which is common. A lot of people blame this on the barrel and while that is true sometimes I think the fit and mounting issue has a lot more to do with it. Give it a try with your rear sight. Mount the gun a few times in the garage and and then do it with your eyes closed. Open them and see where the rear sight mark is in relation to the front sight. If its off it means you are probably fighting the shotgun to align it correctly when you are trying to aim it. A natural point of aim is a lot easier to work with than fighting your muscles which is the same in precision rifle shooting.

Thanks for the replies guys. All of it is good stuff although lasik is out of the question as it wont fix my newly found eye problem. Looks like the Dawson front sight might be the way to go here.