Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel challenge training banners.

quietgunner77

Hey guys ;

Have any of you tried these Steel challenge training banners yet ? I wonder if it's worth spending more than 200 dollars in all 8 stage.

The concept seems very strong, and the banners are at scale, so they look really good.

Thanks for any input on this !

Edited by quietgunner77

I have a set I think I may have been customer #1. I haven't said too much about them because I want to keep them a secret :). For me they are a great product. Since using them my times have steadily dropped. I will post a follow up tomorrow showing stage times over the past few matches. I've been shooting Rimfire pistol and rifle for most, if not all of 2015, so I'll post my stage times tomorrow. They are very easy to setup and use and I'm very pleased with them and the support I've gotten from Nimitz.

Thanks a lot ZackJones for your input. I shoot limited, and I'm always on the look out for ways to improve. I do dry fire almost every day, and have notice my draw times dropped. But then I saw these and I though; " wow this is it ". I just order 4 stages today and can't wait to get them.

P.S. If you can post your before and after times, it will be much appreciated.

Edited by quietgunner77

Here's times for the stages I have shot over the last couple of months. In some cases I've made dramatic improvement and in others incremental but I do believe they are helping.

Five To Go

RFPO

2-21: 31.80

3-21: 16.61

RFRO

2-21: 17.49

3-21: 15.12

Smoke & Hope

RFPO

2-21: 16.33

3-21: 12.75

3-28: 11.74 (Division stage win)

RFRO

2-21: 13.75

3-21: 12.52

3-28: 11.93

Pendulum

RFPO

2-21: 18.44

3-21: 16.89

3-28: 15.80

RFRO

2-21: 16.41

3-21: 18.46 (had a bad run)

3-28: 16.36

Roundabout

RFPO

2-21: 12.97

3-21: 14.67

3-28: 11.96

RFRO

2-21: 13.65

3-21: 13.81

3-28: 11.40

• 1 year later...

Hey Truborshooter !!

I have been using the banners for about a year now and I have to say, I think they do work. My times have dropped significantly and by no means, I'm not as fast as KC or MAX etc... Primarily i shoot limited and in last month match I was 4th overall and first place in limited. Scores are in practiscore. ( Hansen Steel ) Punta Gorda Florida. There's another match this Saturday and right now I have Five to go set up in my living room. I have all 8 stages by the way. In my opinion, they do help with your dryfire routines.

Steel Challenge Scores.html

Edited by quietgunner77

Your right; the holes don't line up with each other. What I did was, I set up the hooks to where they line up with some holes in all the banners, and if the banner is a little " floppy " I use blue painters tape and tape the banner to the wall. I learn to live with it !!!! 

I couldn't purchase them-- I live and compete in the desert.  Those green backgrounds confuse me too much.  :wacko:

Seriously, though, it's a great idea.  What's the width?  Might be good for practicing in the garage during the winter months.

EDIT TO ADD:  Okay, nevermind, I found the size in the ads.  Is it possible to buy a double sided banner to save on costs?

Edited by jkrispies

jkrispies,

the have different backgrounds from dark green to yellowish fall leaves, but your focus should be on the steel only

so blocking out the backgrounds may be a good thing

Yes the banners themselves are really great. 

the widest banner, Accelerator and Smoke & Hope have a spec'd grommet width of 96", mine are around 93 3/4" and the banner itself extends another couple of inches on either side

quietgunner,

so if I sell you Florida boys a couple of canvas awning for your boat for $260 and neither actually fit per my own spec's,

then tell you the fittings are only off by about 1/4" but some are over 1 1/2 inches  and then ignore your complaints,

you boys would be fine with that and just tape them down?

Hey I got a couple of boat awnings for sale!

• 1 year later...

Just thought I’d revive a zombie thread to say these banners are great.  It took me awhile to get around to buying (half of) them, and I wish I’d bought them a long time ago.  FWIW, my secret to happy mounting is to permanently attach each to a 2” stick (like we use on paper target stands) and I just screwed some long drywall screws into my garage wall at the appropriate height, with the appropriate distance marked on the floor.  I simply hook the stick onto the drywall screws and swap out the banner(s) onto the screws based on what I want to train at the moment. Speed Option has its own spot because it’s a funky height.  Very efficient this way.  I’ll probably eventually get the other four banners when I can afford it.  

Edited by jkrispies

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I have all 8 banners and have found them to be very helpful.  I have them set up in my garage.  I live in Florida and when it is too hot or raining I can still practice.  Great product.    George