Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate Limited Set Up question

Czman

When I did my third field strip and reassembled the CM, the slide would not fully go back on the frame during reassembly. While I had threaded the front end carefully and fully, perhaps it was a tad off. I turned it slightly by tapping with the rubber end of a hammer and it worked. This made me wonder -

What do folks do for every field strip? Do you unthread and remove the front plug? Seems like it has to be put back in perfect alignment. I am not sure I have done it perfectly even though it feels adequate. What have you experienced?

Thoughts?

Figured it out a bit. Still a small mystery but at least I know what's happening. The issue is with recoil spring binding in the reverse plug. Somehow the tolerances are so tight with the reverse plug that a very minor offset in the barrel front nut causes factory recoil spring to bind when racking or re-installing slide. I am using the rounded 0.94 mm recoil spring that came installed on the CM. Might be an edge I need to relieve somewhere but at least I know how to get it working reliably every time.

Any thoughts on which surface to relieve?

Edited by Czman

Wow third field stripping already. How many rounds have you shot through it? I have only shot 120 rounds through mine for testing so far. I did a full clean when I got it. I will not field strip and clean it until May 14 just before the 2015 VA/MD Section Match. So about a 1200 round between now and then, A nice little test.

About 1500 rounds so far :)

And how! Absolutely flawless. I went through 800 rounds after the initial cleaning. Then I started shooting some nasty commercial reloads which left plenty of undesirable residue. The gun was fine but I have started cleaning every 250 rounds until I use up the commercial reload bought during the 9 mm crisis not too long ago.

If anybody has ideas on how to relieve the reverse plug please help. My gut says I have to relieve either the guide rod or the small opening on the reverse plug, and perhaps also touch up the rear facing bigger opening of the reverse plug.

Edited by Czman

No you don't need to relieve the reverse plug, you just have to line it up. It is a tight fit, that is what makes it shoot so well. The gun is tight. The barrel front nut should not be over tightened! it will turn just past where it needs to stop & then it will bind the recoil spring. So all you have to do is is line it up perfect. Before you try modifying your Czechmate I would call CZ-USA and ask them about the spring binding up.

Edited by CZ85Combat

No you don't need to relieve the reverse plug, you just have to line it up. It is a tight fit, that is what makes it shoot so well. The gun is tight. The barrel front nut should not be over tightened! it will turn just past where it needs to stop & then it will bind the recoil spring. So all you have to do is is line it up perfect. Before you try modifying your Czechmate I would call CZ-USA and ask them about the spring binding up.

Agreed. I will get used to it, but it's surreal how tight the clearance is.

It's a reverse plug - spring tension holds it in place.

Can you wiggle it side to side? I had kicked around buying one, I thought if I did I would use it in the limited configuration for 3-gun. If the front sight block is held by spring tension, how would it handle a dump bucket ?

and you can get 2 sp01s for every Tac sport. but the same way the sp01 isn't a Tac sport, a Tac sport isn't a czechmate.

Lol +1 without a doubt. My FFL got a TS when I was picking up my second CM. He handled and dry fired it first, then I did. And we both simultaneously said - CM is just a different gun!

and you can get 2 sp01s for every Tac sport. but the same way the sp01 isn't a Tac sport, a Tac sport isn't a czechmate.

Lol +1 without a doubt. My FFL got a TS when I was picking up my second CM. He handled and dry fired it first, then I did. And we both simultaneously said - CM is just a different gun!

Ok, you can't make a statement like that and NOT elaborate!:) Different in what way?

The Czechmate is heavier 3lbs. TS is 2.83lbs. The compensator for open and the barrel nut with front sight in limited set up is what adds the weight.

Except that the slide on the CM is shorter. The slide of the CM+sight block is maybe 1/8" longer than the slide on a TS.

I just weighed the TS and CM that I have. The TS was 44.2oz and the CM was 42.8oz. The TS has a decent amount of grip reduction and thin grip tape grips and the CM has the extended safety and lemon grader grips, other than that, they are the same. The point I was getting at with the slide being shorter/lighter is that there is less reciprocating mass, which is the actual important part. Hence why slide lightening is so popular.

I own a TS and I've shot the CM I really didn't notice that big of a difference.

Shot a CM for a while then go back to the TS, that is where you will notice the difference.

Edited by jon49erfan

In stock configuration TS 9mm has 1199 g (42.3 oz) and CM Limited 1210 g (42.7 oz). TS has lighter wooden grips. If they are changed to thin aluminium for fare comparison then TS has 1225 g (43.2 oz). The weight and balance difference is minimal. The CM has little more weight at the front. TS has more reciprocating mass 391 g (13.8 oz) vs. 323 g (11.4 oz). This and the grip makes the biggest differences.