Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strengths of each division

Wesquire

So I've always shot production type 9mm. I don't even own a pistol in another centerfire chambering. I was just wondering what skillsets or preferences tend to draw people into the various divisions.

Blind people - open

sissies and girls - production

hiders - L10

guys who suck at reloads - Limited

Manly men - SS

:devil:

seriously, I have shot a few different divisions, mostly production, L10 and SS because that is where the guns I had fit, but I theorized that it might improve my shooting to go limited for a while, and focus more on movement and shooting fast and more efficient stage plans rather than having to think about reloading all the time. In just a few months I picked up quite a bit of speed and much better grip discipline from shooting major. That has helped me in SS and production.

So I've always shot production type 9mm. I don't even own a pistol in another centerfire chambering. I was just wondering what skillsets or preferences tend to draw people into the various divisions.

Old blind guys that can't handle the recoil of un-compensated 9mm loads tend to gravitate towards Open Division.

People that don't like to reload and like punishing themselves shoot Limited

Trophy hunters hide in L10

Over 70yrs old to qualify for Revo

SS for people that just inherited grandpa's 1911

Normal people shoot Prod Div.

:roflol:

Blind people - open

hiders - L10

Manly men - SS

seriously, I have shot a few different divisions, mostly production, L10 and SS because that is where the guns I had fit, but I theorized that it might improve my shooting to go limited for a while, and focus more on movement and shooting fast and more efficient stage plans rather than having to think about reloading all the time. In just a few months I picked up quite a bit of speed and much better grip discipline from shooting major. That has helped me in SS and production.

What is interesting to me is that people talk about the old guys that can't see shooting open, but doesn't the increased speed make it more dynamic and even harder for the older guys to keep up? I can't stand shooting major calibers, it's just not fun to me.

L10 really just needs to be called Production Major :D

Shooting the HK45 (and other assorted OTC 45s that aren't 1911s) it's the only division it really fits into. Production style guns are what attract me to shooting, personally I couldn't care less about being fast with a race gun or even with mag wells.

Yep, guys that suck at reloads like Limited. I have developed some palsy in my left hand and kept cutting my finger tips off doing reloads in SS and Production, but I can still see so I shoot Limited major because the magazines are longer and there's less chance I'll be leaving blood trails. LOL

Edited by mgardner

Production seemed cheaper to get into and easier to cross over for me in the "other" sport. And I'm not a fan of gun maintenance, and historically I've just seen less guns puke up problems in Prod than in other divisions. So I assumed they were more reliable and took less effort to make run smooth.

Also drawn to Prod as it seems there are still a good number of people shooting it, so I can go to match and have 20 competitors, not 8.

SS, is for those that like nostalgia and love the 1911

Revolver, for people that like revolvers and are confident enough in themselves to place that low in the overall standings

L10, (in a free state) for those that have weird guns or just got a limited gun but like shooting and sharing stage plans with there friends in production

Production, for those that like the extra stage planning and emphasis on accuracy

Limited, for those that think they want to go fast but don't want to go top fuel fast.

Open, for those that say Mama I want to go fast and or cant see the sights any more.

Yep, guys that suck at reloads like Limited. I have developed some palsy in my left hand and kept cutting my finger tips off doing reloads in SS and Production, but I can still see so I shoot Limited major because the magazines are longer and there's less chance I'll be leaving blood trails. LOL

That's open. My friend shoots open, he has 4 mags. The one he uses and the three rusty ones.

Edited by z40acp

Blind people - open

hiders - L10

Manly men - SS

So true. I started in single stack cause it's what I had. Can't wait to move to limited and leave the extra 2 reloads behind. ?

Blind people - open

hiders - L10

Manly men - SS

What is interesting to me is that people talk about the old guys that can't see shooting open, but doesn't the increased speed make it more dynamic and even harder for the older guys to keep up?

Absolutely! Shoot a classifier in Production and run the numbers. Then for fun, run the numbers in Open. I shoot classifiers pretty well sometimes and think this might be the one that takes me over the top to A class. It will turn out to be like 68%. Open is a lot of fun to shoot but it's a bitch as far as degree of difficulty in classifiers. I went to open because I couldn't focus on the sights anymore and the logical solution seemed to be a $4000 gun instead of a $100 pair of inserts!

Open: People who like getting beaten by Max.

Production: People who like getting beaten by Eric.

SS: People who like getting beaten by Robbie.

Revolver: People who like getting beaten by Jerry.

Limited 10: People who like to win meaningless trophies.

Limited: People who like getting beaten by Nils, Blake, Manny, Bob, or Travis. It's the most democratic division.

Limited: People who like getting beaten by Nils, Blake, Manny, Bob, or Travis. It's the most democratic division.

That was pretty good, except that nils guy is somewhat competitive in SS too.

And Ben isn't too shabby in production

just shoot open minor .... if you're shooting all As like you should be you don't need to waste powder trying to make major

you also never have to worry about how to hide your special match chrono ammo since you're already shooting minor ...

or you could just shoot the new Production Optics division

just shoot open minor .... if you're shooting all As like you should be you don't need to waste powder trying to make major

you also never have to worry about how to hide your special match chrono ammo since you're already shooting minor ...

or you could just shoot the new Production Optics division

What do you mean the new production optics division?

Man, you guys really know how to step on a joke. Obviously I left out a bunch of awesome shooters, but that's because it was meant to be humorous.

In other news, a chicken didn't actually cross the road.

Man, you guys really know how to step on a joke. Obviously I left out a bunch of awesome shooters, but that's because it was meant to be humorous.

In other news, a chicken didn't actually cross the road.

I had this discussion with a prominent USPSA figure over the weekend. Humor seems to be dead in our sport compared to days gone past. :(

For the win!