Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to make Bug PF in .380?

Ontarget

I think if IDPA truly wanted .380s in BUG that they would have chosen a more realistic power factor that could be achieved with common over the counter loads. The 95 PF is somewhat reminiscent of the 125 PF that used to be required in IDPA SSR. There were very few factory loads that could make it from a 4.2-inch gun, so most competitors had to hand load -- and load to +P levels. Someone at IDPA HQ finally got around to chronographing various factory loads and they then changed to the current 105 PF for speedloader guns.

I think any 380 competing in BUG is going to get beat up pretty badly with a steady diet of what amounts to +P pressure levels. A 95 PF is a 95 grain bullet at 1,000 fps. That's cutting it too close for a match chrono. 95 grains at 1050 is a safer bet and that is going to really beat up guns.

Yes, this reminded me also of SSR which previously had a 125 power factor. Very difficult to make in .38 special even with hand loads. It took a long time before the rule was changed.

I read that 95 power factor was chosen for bug, because it will reliably knock down steel. Logical, but I don't think many people will be able to shoot their .380's in bug division. Perhaps the rule could have been written this way: "a base power factor of 80K. 95K required for any match with steel targets."

Edited by Ontarget

I think if IDPA truly wanted .380s in BUG that they would have chosen a more realistic power factor that could be achieved with common over the counter loads. The 95 PF is somewhat reminiscent of the 125 PF that used to be required in IDPA SSR. There were very few factory loads that could make it from a 4.2-inch gun, so most competitors had to hand load -- and load to +P levels. Someone at IDPA HQ finally got around to chronographing various factory loads and they then changed to the current 105 PF for speedloader guns.

I think any 380 competing in BUG is going to get beat up pretty badly with a steady diet of what amounts to +P pressure levels. A 95 PF is a 95 grain bullet at 1,000 fps. That's cutting it too close for a match chrono. 95 grains at 1050 is a safer bet and that is going to really beat up guns.

Agreed. My little P232 ain't gonna be able to play.

Joyce's email said it came down to needing to be able to knock down steel.

That said, it seems silly to me even to allow .380 under those circumstances. Most people who come to shoot with their .380s aren't going to make PF, since very little off-the-shelf ammo will (as you said... reminiscent of the old SSR power factor issue.)

But we don't chrono at club matches. So we'll pretend that we think they're shooting legally....

No one says you have to shoot 380ACP in BUG only that you can shot it. There are a lot of other legal cartridge that will make the PF with a larger selection of cheap factory ammo. Not every legal cartridge in a division is required (at least not yet) to be able to make power factor with cheap factory ammo. There is factory 380 ACP ammo that will make the PF if your willing to pay and the cartridge with hand loaded ammunition can safely make power factor.

Are you going to stand down range on a windy day to hold up steel calibrated to a lower power factor? :surprise: