Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A club evaluating Practiscore options 2015

DCS

We have been using PS on our little Samsung tablets for a year now, with no problems. It's been a smooth transition, only glitches we've had was some shooters not willing to learn. (rare occurrence though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an FYI... if anyone is looking for Nooks to start their club and are budget constrained, message me as we just switched over to Kindles which seem to do better for our windy, dusty environment. You cover shipping and I'll get them to you.

• 1 month later...

Guys, this is some great information. I am the score uploader for my club for USPSA and have been doing that for 2 years now, and have also been putting in all of the IDPA scores for the last 6-8 months. We have been using paper scoring for both USPSA and IDPA. I am to the point that using practiscore and tablets or nooks is the only way for us to go at this point. It normally takes me 4-5 hours every weekend to enter the scores in for our guys. I have used practiscore at other clubs and have been to matches that used them and it only seems logical to follow suit.

I shot a match yesterday that was an IDPA major that utilized nooks, had a squad mom that had all of the shooters paper for a back up, and also a club paper for a back up. At the end of the day, the shooter would get their paper back with their scores wrote down. This was very effective and efficient.

We host the VA State IDPA match at my club every year with normally 200+ shooters and still utilize exclusively paper scoring on it as well. So I can definitely see the advantage and time savings implementing the electronic scoring with paper back up for it.

Great advice from the ones that posted about their experiences utilizing practicsore. Be safe out there guys!

EW

Edited by Ewilson224

• 11 months later...

Found this old thread using search. It was a very helpful thread at the time. Thanks to all who contributed.

At the time I started the thread, our club bought a gen 1 ipad and 9 new nooks and the bright green Amazon cases linked on page 1 and a cordless HooToo router and an Ankor charger base.

I rooted the nooks, installed PS & a calc & a clock & Opera browser. I loaded PS on the blank ipad and networked the lot. I didn't use the DropBox route.

I even goofed around long enough to put a custom screensaver image in the /system/media/screensaver and the /system/media/screensaver/authors directories.

Bronte_Sisters.png

Long story short: they never got used. I just charged the lot and checked everything - still 100%.

Our club is a non-profit.

I don't have enough posts to gain access to the BE classifieds.

Maybe the mods will permit this post.

We'd like to sell the lot to a club who will use them, just to recover our purchase price and no more. Funds payable to PRSC (non-profit!).

If the mods allow this, and if anyone is interested, pm me and I will email you full info.

DS

Wow, Never used? You still do scores on paper?

We have all we need, so I can't help there, but 35 shooters running 5-6 stages is a lot of data entry. I have been stats for 16 years or so and I would NEVER go back to paper. We still have errors and we still have no score entered on occasion, that doesn't change, but we have the scores done by the time we leave the range. and if someone has a hotspot the scores are posted to our website although they are not final until Wednesday to allow for division changes and updates of classifications.

Correct - never used.

I ran a small 3-gun series on Ironman rules last year and into this year. Never had more than 14 guys, and Ironman scoring is so fast and simple that i never bothered to set-up PS for those small matches.

We have a USPSA group here, but they weren't interested in Nook scoring, so never used.

Big thanks to BE forum for allowing our club to list this kit for sale. Repeat: we are a 501 non-profit. Kit is offered at our cost.

This is a good kit. It may as well go to good use somewhere.

Link with photos and details: http://prsportsmen.com/nook.html