Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making Mistakes

mgriffen

So a couple of guys showed up late to our local "Twilight" match last night and I was SO'ing on stage 2. The long and short of it is that I let the first guy run the CoF with his eye protection still on his hat and not on his face. He gets a PE for it and I just feel like an ass! I feel like I should be the one to get the PE and not him. Shouldn't there be some kind of penalty for SO's that screw up like this?? I apologized to him and shook his hand. Said I'm glad he still has both his eyes... But I can't stop thinking about it...

Did you notice during his run? Or after he finished? Not sure what the rule is in IDPA. But it doesn't seem like a good idea to let someone continue and just give them a PE for something like that. I think in USPSA you stop the shooter and give them a reshoot. But I could be wrong on that, I'm still learning all the rules.

As an SO, it's your responsibility to stop the shooter when safety gear isn't in place. As a shooter the same standard applies.

2.14 The SO will stop a shooter that has started a CoF and is not wearing proper eye or ear protection, and a reshoot will be given to the shooter. If the shooter’s eye or hearing protection becomes dislodged during a CoF, the same action applies. If the shooter discovers missing or dislodged eye or hearing protection before the SO and stops, the shooter will also be given a reshoot. A shooter who intentionally loses or dislodges eye and/or ear protection during a CoF will be Disqualified.

There's no PE for the mutual screw up of SO and shooter.

Yeah, I didn't notice until after it was over. The MD came over and said the shooter was to receive a PE and I just need to pay more attention. Now that I see the actual ruling I am going to bring it up at the Sunday match. As an SO I should already know that. I guess in the heat of the moment the specifics of the rule book like to leave the brain...

I agree: no PE. And a reshoot if noticed during the course of fire by either the shooter or the SO.

Question, though: If the shooter completed the course of fire with no eye protection, and it was only discovered/noticed after the range had been called clear, is that a reshoot?

I had the same exact thing happen to a shooter last month. Before we scored I gave him the option of a reshoot. Not knowing his time or score, he opted for the reshoot. Bad choice on his part. :D