Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 aftermarket upgrades?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. When Trubor said he had to use a #2 pin, is he saying a #2 is stamped on top the pin or in the 2nd station? Mine looks like the picture you posted; I have 3 pins, all say 3 on top of them.

So you have your o-ring on a #3 pin at station 3? (I know that's right, more so thinking out loud). I know I can grind the pin down enough to get the o-ring right, now I'm actually just more concerned about where the #2 pins are coming from or if he meant station 2.

I believe what he was saying is that the #3 pin with the groove and O ring was too tight so he used a #2 pin with groove and O ring, I would also think if you were to make the groove a little deeper on a #3 pin it would work. Just my thoughts I am not a SME :)

Yep it is a fit thing. If it doesn't fit properly continue to take material off the pin until it does. The groove also helps keep the o-ring in place. If your shell plate is spinning the o-ring and or pin it is to tight.

Keep adjusting the depth of the groove till the shell plate just rubs slightly against the plate. The shell plate will compress the rubber and provide just enough friction to stop the powder dance. It feels dampened - is the only way to describe the way the press now operates.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. When Trubor said he had to use a #2 pin, is he saying a #2 is stamped on top the pin or in the 2nd station? Mine looks like the picture you posted; I have 3 pins, all say 3 on top of them.

So you have your o-ring on a #3 pin at station 3? (I know that's right, more so thinking out loud). I know I can grind the pin down enough to get the o-ring right, now I'm actually just more concerned about where the #2 pins are coming from or if he meant station 2.

You don't have any pins at station #2 (only #3, #4, and #5).

Yep it is a fit thing. If it doesn't fit properly continue to take material off the pin until it does. The groove also helps keep the o-ring in place. If your shell plate is spinning the o-ring and or pin it is to tight.

Can you give me the OD of the pin with the O ring installed? Please

RDA, you're right. So there actually is a #2 pin, I just don't have them. I got it, thanks gentlemen.

Yes the #2 pin diameter is .321-.322 the #3 pin is .382-.383

So I'm assuming the smaller pins comes with like the 40 conversion kit then? That's next on my list, that and the dies. Although I need to hunt down moar powder!

I know, I was just joking. But thank you.

Ah, very well, carry on and share your result when you can. I haven't tried this modification, makes sense, but I don't get much if any spillage on my loads.

Sorry guys, been out of town

Yes, a #2 locator pin from my 650 spares kit in station #3 where I have my bullet feeder.

I did not bother to groove the #3 pin and just fell into the #2 with #5 o ring.

It runs flush with the press platen along the outer perimeter of the 9mm shell plate and rotates along with the shell plate.

It makes contact with the bottom of the cartridge case rim and doesn't disturb the case relative to the dies.

After I tested it with an almost full case of WSF powder and didn't spill a granule,

I ran almost 500 9mm loads with 6 ish grs of WSF. The o ring never fell off the locator pin and I lost only

a smig of powder due to sloppy fingers removing cases to double checking powder drops.

Yes, the proper way is to groove the locator pin for the o ring but I just fell into the other combination and thought I'd

throw it out there for you guys.

I suppose that a bad case rim could cause havoc with the o rings but usually a bad rim never gets inserted into the shell plate at

station #1. My main concern was for proper case presentation into the bullet feeder die and powder spillage was secondary.

After my next trip I will play with 38 SC using a 223 shell plate and see if it works. I predict it will if shell plate diameter is

the same, The longer case may be a problem with the bullet feeder, but the sloop built into the shell plate may allow it to self center.

Just got in a roller cam follower from Ballistic Tools but won't get to it for a while

Next time I'll 'follow the topic' to my email and save you guys guessing

• 2 months later...

I grooved my #3 pin and got an o-ring and am really digging how well it dampens the shell plate when loading 9mm and 38 super. I already did the bearing mod, and cut a coil off the detent ball spring, and those helped a lot....but the o-ring on the pin really completes the dampening system.

I used it with a #2 pin and that worked well enough for me to groove a #3 pin (chucked in drill press and used a triangle file, took about 3 minutes).

An easy mod and definitely +Recommended+.

• 3 months later...

Great info, an

I grooved my #3 pin and got an o-ring and am really digging how well it dampens the shell plate when loading 9mm and 38 super. I already did the bearing mod, and cut a coil off the detent ball spring, and those helped a lot....but the o-ring on the pin really completes the dampening system.

I used it with a #2 pin and that worked well enough for me to groove a #3 pin (chucked in drill press and used a triangle file, took about 3 minutes).

An easy mod and definitely +Recommended+.

Great info, any tips or tricks on creating the groove in the locator pin?

Here is a pic of the locator pin I modified and added an O-ring to. It prevents the shell plate from snapping and eliminated my powder splash.

IMG_20150409_212244_539_zpsd6eemrlv.jpg

I know there are a million ways to do this, but how are you attaching the taps to the locator pins. Also, what kind of bullets are those, the purple looks really cool.

Here is a pic of the locator pin I modified and added an O-ring to. It prevents the shell plate from snapping and eliminated my powder splash.

IMG_20150409_212244_539_zpsd6eemrlv.jpg

I know there are a million ways to do this, but how are you attaching the taps to the locator pins. Also, what kind of bullets are those, the purple looks really cool.
Those tabs are actually jewelry price tags they have a hole punched in them already with a string to attach it to jewelry. I just remove the string and push the pin through the hole. I found them at Office Depot. The bullets I use are falcon 147gr coated, they are a dark red. Edited by bwikel

Has anyone done the o-ring modification for loading .223? Already have the bearing modification and still see powder spillage.

I use the same locator pin with O-ring for both 9mm and .223. I probably wouldn't use it on the seating station just in case it cants the shell any.