Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 Bolt Action OAL concern

novalty

I am loading for a Remington 700, and the OAL of my loaded cartridges is too long so they have to be loaded single-shot style. My suspicion is that is related to the 180gr. Nosler ballistic tips (bullet length). The cases I trimmed to the recommended length, and I used a Sinclair Bullet Comparitor Nut to find the OAL for the ogive to contact the lands, and then I seated the bullets 20 thousands off the lands using a Redding Competition seater die. These bullets chamber fine, and shot very well, and I'm not concerned about having to load them individually. The only solution I can think of to be able to load the max amount in my 700, would be to trim the cases shorter or seat the bullets deeper, but both of these options lead to the bullet being seated a lot further off the lands.Hoping the switch to 168 gr. bullets may fix the problem. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Remington .308's have a very long throat. I swear their reamer is for the 2 people that wanted to use 220 grain round nose bullets for deer hunting. 168 grain bullets seated close to the lands will have only about .030 of the bullet body held by neck.

I don't understand what you mean about trimming shorter to load a maximum amount.

For shortening, I just meant the options that would be necessary for the cartridge to fit into the magazine well. As the rounds that I reloaded, are too long and I cannot fit them down into gun. Just seems to defeat the purpose of being able to hold 4-5 rounds, when I can only load them individually. For what I shoot, it probably isn't a big deal--but it would certainly be more convenient if I could load more than 1 round into the rifle at a time.

Edited by novalty

Where the bullets are about the length of the ballistic tip too long with them loaded 20 thousands off the lands--would I expect my accuracy to go to heck with them shortened up that additional amount?

you don't necessarily need to load them 20 thou off the lands to have an accurate gun, I have some guns I jam into the lands and others I load quite a bit out. Given it is a factory barrel/chamber all bets are off. I would load a few at different lengths and see how they shoot.

My stock 308 700 takes quite a big jump and still has better accuracy than I can shoot, probably near 1/4 moa, I can shoot em at 1/2 moa on my better days. I load to max that I can for mags and run with em.

Best way to find out is to load a few at mag length and try em.

jj

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Was trying to load as close to the lands as possible, as I thought this would eliminate the jump. Will try the next batch to fit the mag, and see how that turns out.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Was trying to load as close to the lands as possible, as I thought this would eliminate the jump. Will try the next batch to fit the mag, and see how that turns out.

With a stock Rem 700 it's a losing fight, the throat is too long for mag length. Just get some Hornady 178gr BTHP and load to mag length.

You might be surprised if you haven't had an accuracy issue with jump that it might not matter. I find that this can be particular to barrel and bullet too. For some bullets, it is more vital, and for some barrels, and other combos seem doomed while some quite forgiving. With that length and bullet weight Graham, what powder would you suggest?

I have a bunch of different powders to try just have to get some range time to test: BLC-2, RL15, Benchmark, Varget, 4895, 748. With the 180gr, I have been using Reloder 15, and been happy with the results using a mid-range load.

Will do JimmyZip. To be honest I am sure I am way over thinking this for what I need. Hoping to get some range time in as soon as the snow finishes melting. Hopefully my gun will like the 168gr. Match Hornady's or 168gr. Nosler Competitions.

Try the Sierra 155 Palma, same bc as the smk 175, (or the new Sierra 155 tipped match king, even better bc) load em to mag length and push em hard...mine go 2880 and are like laser beams, supersonic out past 1k and easily better than 1moa @1k. This is a stock barrel...

When I was doing load development I had to stop at the above velocity because of pressure signs, but I wanted to push em harder because the groups were getting even better...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I have a bunch of different powders to try just have to get some range time to test: BLC-2, RL15, Benchmark, Varget, 4895, 748. With the 180gr, I have been using Reloder 15, and been happy with the results using a mid-range load.

RL15 is a dandy powder for 175gr SMK and 178gr Hornady .308's That bullet is also about a long as you want to go with a Rem 700 with a 1:12 twist barrel.

My Remington 700 is the VLS version with 28" bull barrel, and has a Burris Signature 4x16 scope. I hadn't shot much for rifle in years, but picked this rifle up a little over a year ago, and really enjoyed punching paper with it.

DSCN0548_zps2b0be2c7.jpg

This is the second batch of 10 reloads that I shot with it from 100 yards. Obviously I need more practice too, I am hoping to tighten up my groups. I believe this load was 41.0grs of Reloder 15.

410Reloader15and180grNosletBT_zpsc864bbf

Edited by novalty