Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back to Spraying Primers

The hinged primer shoot on my 550 opens and closes properly every time I cycle the ram. I had been loading lots of 9mm. Then I loaded 1000 45 and 1000 40 and had only about 20 total that didn't go down the Uniquetech catch into the bucket.

Before I switched to 45, about 10% of my 9mm primers went on the bench or the floor. On switching back to 9mm, I've added a case feeder and I still see the hinge cycling properly and 10% of my primers go in various directions.

The decapping pin on in the station one die doesn't seem to stay tight as well for 9mm as it did on the other 2 calibers. Could that be the problem? Does someone have another 9mm sizing/decapping die that they recommend over Dillon? Would it get more of the primers to go straight down, instead of sideways?

Except for spraying primers, I'm real happy with my current set up. I'm working on perfect.

I think that is one of the pitfalls to the spring loaded dillon decapping system. If you are dead set on Dillon then you can probably remove the spring and shim the pin with something to test that. I like LEE or EGW Udie followed by standard LEE die. All are tighter than my Dillon was and all size lower as well.

Also mod the tip of the pin by either beveling it or just rounding it off. The primers are probably hanging on the pin just a tiny bit and when the spring releases Watch Out!!

Check the roller bracket shell platform alignment over the spent primer cup. There is a bit of slop in the mounting holes in this bracket where it attaches to the underside of the platform. If shifted too far one way or the other then the sheet metal may not be lined up over the cup entirely. Rather than loosen these difficult-to-reach screws, I use a plastic mallet to lightly tap the roller bracket one direction or the other. Usually it needs to go to the left slightly. Be sure the left edge of the roller bracket does not rub on the right side of the primer feed body.

Archived