Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer pick up. Why am I having problems?

just learning how to use a new to me 550b. The thing that I am most struggling with is using the primer pickup tube. I will get about 4 or 5 and they want to turn sideways, just as they ar going from the tip into the tube. I have had a few that filpped around and ended up in the magazine backward. This is happening with small primers using the yellow tip. I have a fresh yellow tip in my spare parts bag, and tired to but am having the same issue, When watching videos, it looks to be as easy as falling down but it is really frustrating me. What am I doing wrong?

make sure you are holding the tube vertical and not on an angle ... also, after turning the primer flip plate around so the primers are facing 'down' I jiggle the plate a little to cause separation between the primers ... makes it easier to pick up one a a time ....

Make sure the yellow tip is pushed all the way on the tube. If there is a gap at all primers will flip

This...^.... i've actually done this. If that yellow or green tip isn't all the way seated, you will have problems.

I recently ran into the same problem trying to load large pistol primers into tube, they kept jamming up after about 5--getting stuck before going into the tube. Fooled with tip a little, and they finally started feeding into tube. Assuming caused by a gap between the plastic tip and the tube.

buy a Dillon RF 100..

Recommending to buy a device costing almost the same as his press is excellent advice.

See that a lot on this forum, something doesn't work just throw a lot of money at it.

Good to hear you got it Resolved though.

Edited by xrayfk05

Here's my $.02.

Go buy a Franklin Vibra Prime. About $15 I believe.

Some love (as I do), some hate it.

Once the process is mastered, you'll never again fill a primer tube 1 primer at a time.

But, as always, YMMV. ;)

Here's my $.02.

Once the process is mastered, you'll never again fill a primer tube 1 primer at a time.

But, as always, YMMV. ;)

Where are you getting them for $15?

Here's my $.02.

But, as always, YMMV. ;)

Is there a trick to using it? I bought one and fooled with it for a while, couldn't get it to work so set it aside. Haven't messed with it since then.

buy a Dillon RF 100..

Recommending to buy a device costing almost the same as his press is excellent advice.

See that a lot on this forum, something doesn't work just throw a lot of money at it.

Good to hear you got it Resolved though.

Yeah, sounds like the old timers at my club. Their motto is, "if your gun won't run, Chrome it!". That is there way at poking fun at us USPSA guys and our toys.

Here's my $.02.

But, as always, YMMV. ;)

Is there a trick to using it? I bought one and fooled with it for a while, couldn't get it to work so set it aside. Haven't messed with it since then.

Somebody posted a pretty significant list of what they did to get it to run. Detailed the sanding, trimming, taping, etc. I say just "Chrome it!" :goof:

Here's my $.02.

But, as always, YMMV. ;)

Somebody posted a pretty significant list of what they did to get it to run. Detailed the sanding, trimming, taping, etc. I say just "Chrome it!" :goof:

My bad on the price. I was going from memory, and unfortunately my memory is going. :blush:

$45 to $50 is the going price.

I did nothing to mine. I have read posts and even seen you tube videos where they had to trim flashing etc to get good feeds.

I did add the Dillon primer feed adapter tip to each of the tubes that came with the Vibraprime. This way I can add directly to the primer holder on the press.

The learning curve involves learning how to tilt slightly on different axis to get the right feed rate without jamming. As well as how to get stuck primers to either fall, or bounce out to be fed again.

You can't crowd it with primers at the tube end, you have to learn how to balance it so they go into the feed chute with a little space between each primer.

Once you master the tool it easy to feed a tube in 15 seconds give or take.

Edited by Jimk60

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a trick to getting that last primer out of the pick-up tube and into the primer magazine? Seems like there is always one or two that won't fall into the magazine. Probably no big deal, but wondering if I am the only one who has an issue with this.