Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help just getting back into USPSA after 3 years

TSOL

Okay I need a little help here getting back into shooting USPSA after being out of it for almost 3 years due to some serious knee issues. Previously I shot limited minor mostly in fun matches and I would be scored in the middle of the pack out of around 440-50 shooters. However people told me I was really handicapping myself shooting minor in limited so I decided to shoot Production at last Thursday nights fun match. Well when the scores came out I was 3rd from the bottom and I have never scored that low before. I think I may have been worrying too much about doing mag changes etc with only 10 rounds. So after the match I was talking to a couple guys and one tells me to just keep shooting production and I will get better with time, they also told me to switch from shooting my Walther PPQ to shooting my CZ Shadow in production. Then someone I know who works at a gun range but also shoots USPSA I believe he is a GM, tells me to start back shooting Limited minor and become comfortable with again with shooting on the move and shooting matches under pressure without having to worry about being limited to 10 rounds and once I feel confident to then try Production.

So needless to say I'm a little confused and figured I might be able to get some other advice on what might work best for me just getting back into the sport. I'm not looking to become a major competitor but I really would like to not be near the bottom.

Thanks.

Shoot whichever gun you enjoy shooting in whichever division you enjoy most. Worry more about your mental focus and seeing things quickly and aggressively rather than chasing the "perfect" gun (or any other piece of gear).

I'm just getting back into it myself. Personally I hate 10 round mags and reloading constantly, and I happen to have a Glock 35...so Limited Major it is.

If you are shooting for fun in general, why would you care about if minor is handicapping you? Just shoot. When you get into higher classes or become more serious about placement, especially major matches, then you can worry about that.

I hate to break it to your advisors but lack of a regular practice schedule with the same gun "handicaps " you quite a bit more then major vs minor. A goal of wanting to be 50% at a local is very different than 50% at your Area championship. Keep it in perspective and have some fun for a while. If you want to win your class at a major that is a way different question.

I know one thing for sure, the great majority of shooters do better by picking one gun, that works, and sticking with it

Thanks for the replies, while I wasn't able to shoot a match in 3 years I was hitting a static range 2-6 times a month and I was shooting the Walther very well however with that said there is a HUGE difference between standing still and hitting paper and shooting and reloading while moving. Sadly none of the ranges near me will allow you to draw from a holster let alone move and shoot so my practice is pretty much dri firing or the local matches. I'm not looking to win any sort of area match as I doubt I'm good enough for that and at almost 50 years old I doubt my shooting will improve that much, but I would like to have fun, improve my shooting skills and at least get classified as a B or even an A shooter at some point.

Thanks again for all the tips and I think I'm going to just go ahead and have fun and really get back into the sport shooting my CZ in Limited Minor. Once I really get me head back into the game and feel comfortable again then I'll try production again or perhaps SS and use what I have. Perhaps if I get serious enough (and have the extra $$$$$) at some point I'll pick up a good major Limited gun like an STI in .40 S&W.

Thanks again I'm really enjoying shooting again, I had forgotten how much fun it was.

After three years off, you can't expect to be "in the middle of the pack" your

first time out. :ph34r:

Relax, enjoy and concentrate on hitting the target, as quickly as possible.

You didn't mention whether it was your accuracy or your speed that caused

the most problem for you???

Figure out what held you down and work on those 1-3 items ...

Take your time, relax and enjoy .... :cheers:

After three years off, you can't expect to be "in the middle of the pack" your

first time out. :ph34r:

Relax, enjoy and concentrate on hitting the target, as quickly as possible.

You didn't mention whether it was your accuracy or your speed that caused

the most problem for you???

Figure out what held you down and work on those 1-3 items ...

Take your time, relax and enjoy .... :cheers:

Jack,

Thanks for the reply, on the first stage I really blew it on accuracy as I was trying to go fast and trying to remember when I needed to change mags so I actually missed on shot on several targets. One stage I blew because when doing a mag change I somehow pulled as second mag out which fell to the ground and I was really worried I wouldn't be able to finish that stage due to running out of ammo. Once I slowed down

Nothing wrong with a PPQ.

A $1500 custom CZ or EAA is probably capable of doing more, in the right hands.... but only potentially. Lots to work on here, before the gun choice matters that much.

I'd shoot what you have the most fun with, for Division and/or gun. Seems like lots of people try to lump "new" shooters into Production..... its not the easiest Division, there are a lot of good shooters in there that shoot lots of A's, and have the stages doped out well for mag changes. If you stay in production ,shoot A's your scores should improve.

Limited can be a lot of fun. minor hurts a little score wise if you are not shooting A's, but its still pretty fun, and mag changes are less stressful.

Someone once gave me good advice, don't take advice from anyone who is not a GM. I'm not one..... but, if it was me, I'd just shoot Limited minor and have fun. Get back in the swing of things, you can always try other divisions as you get more settled in. You are probably not in any danger of winning any matches anytime soon, so relax and have fun. Worry about being competitive, later..... when you are competitive.

Well I just want to post an update, I didn't make it to the Thursday evening fun match as I got tied up with something but shoot the regular match today with a classifier. I decided to shoot my CZ Shadow in Limited as that's what I was doing well with when I had to my hiatus. I found that I was more relaxed today not having to worry about all the mag changes and I was able to really focus on hitting the target with just one perhaps 2 mag changes per stage. While the official scores aren't posted to the web site yet I feel I did a lot better I had a lot more A's than a week and a 1/2 ago. So i think for now my game plan is to keep shooting the Shadow in Limited minor until I feel really confident and then I may try shooting production, SS or Limited 10 with a CZ 97 or if I come into some $$$$$ and get serious I may pick up a CZ TS or STI and that may happen as it sure is an addictive way to spend a Sunday morning.

Thanks again for all the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Ultimo-Hombre, you are probably right I think I'm just going to shoot to have fun and see where it takes me. I did shoot a match last weekend that had a classifier stage on it. I looked at my stats on the USPSA site and it looks like for the match I was 10th overall for the limited division but I really blow the classifier, it was 3 targets all 3 blocked to some degree and 2 shots in each reload and 2 more shots in each. I did great the first string but got worried about the time on the second string and had 2 mikes. Oh well still a lot of fun and great people.

this is only an option, but maybe some reading will also help.

I read Mike Seeklander's book on competitive shooting and it's helped me tremendously

Thanks for the advice I'm actually taking Mike's competition course down here next November and received a code to order the book through the course. Pretty excited as I want to learn what I'm doing and or not doing to become a better shooter not looking to become a GM but more for myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Divisions with limited capacity (Lim 10, Prod, SSTK, Rev) put a premium on stage planning AND reloading as well as demaning good accuracy to minimize make up shots if you want to place well.

They will make you a better shooter but it takes time.

• 2 months later...

I have been out of the game for 7 years, I use to go with some friends, show up shoot and have fun. I didn't really even know what uspsa was. I used my xd 40 sub compact, actually didn't do to bad with it.

I shot my first match back last month. I used my xdm 40, shot production. I did ok 54.8% for the match......but it got my hook line and sinker. Since then I think I officially spent all of my "fun" money! Or at least as much as I can without my wife making me sleep on the couch forever.

Bought an STI executive and everything needed to go along with it.... Needless to say it has taken over my life. I'm shooting almost every weekend and trying to do 15-30 min of dry fire a night.