Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production pistol

Thinking about getting a production pistol (currently shoot 1911s in other classes) and trying to figure out what to get. Would like to get something all steel, single action only and as close to a 1911 quality trigger as possible. Any suggestions? I live in CA so it will also have to be on the Roster. Is the CZ 75 TS Production legal?

Thinking about getting a production pistol (currently shoot 1911s in other classes) and trying to figure out what to get. Would like to get something all steel, single action only and as close to a 1911 quality trigger as possible. Any suggestions? I live in CA so it will also have to be on the Roster. Is the CZ 75 TS Production legal?

No single action pistol is legal for production.

the cz75TS is a great gun for limited.

For CZ you can go with the SP-01 (or even watch classifieds on Calguns for safe queen SP-01 Shadow occasionally). But SP-01 you can get in CA, and with trigger work from any of Cajun Gun Works, Automatic Accuracy or CZ Custom, that single action pull will be not far off from a nice 1911.

Edited by trgt

No single action pistol is legal for production.

the cz75TS is a great gun for limited.

Aren't striker fired pistols considered single action? Granted, I am not looking for a plastic striker pistol.

I think striker fired pistols are considered striker-fired (or safe-action) pistols. I would certainly never call one single-action, although they are sometimes referred to in that way in certain rules or marketing stuff.

There are no single action pistols approved for production.

Edited by motosapiens

Doing some looking and the CZ P-09 is on the production list. The description on the CZ website says the pistol is "shipped with decockers installed but can easily be converted to a manual safety with the supplied parts and instructions." If you change the safety from a decocker to a manual safety does that make the pistol not eligible for production?

Doing some looking and the CZ P-09 is on the production list. The description on the CZ website says the pistol is "shipped with decockers installed but can easily be converted to a manual safety with the supplied parts and instructions." If you change the safety from a decocker to a manual safety does that make the pistol not eligible for production?

either way it is still a da/sa gun, so if you got one, you could shoot it with the decocker or with the safety. if you use the safety, you have to lower the hammer manually before you start, but that's what pretty much every cz shooter does anyway.

If I had to buy a gun off the roster, I would probably get a cz 75b and spend a couple hundo on a hammer kit and sights from cgw or czcustom. Or I'd just get a 1911 and shoot singlestack. y'all have a screwball laws there.

Striker fired guns are technically DAO guns. Every time you pull the trigger, you are partially cocking the striker, which was already mostly cocked from the slide moving.

For some reason the quote thing didn't go. But no is the answer to that (not that it matters since you don't want one haha)

Edited by Gooldylocks

Some striker fired guns, like the XD, are SA since racking the slide fully cocks the striker, but since it's on the Production list you can use it. If a gun on the Production list has a hammer, it must start hammer down for the first shot. I don't know much about that CZ, but I think you could convert it from a decocker to manual safety and use it for Production, but then you'd need to manually lower the hammer.

If I had to buy a gun off the roster, I would probably get a cz 75b and spend a couple hundo on a hammer kit and sights from cgw or czcustom. Or I'd just get a 1911 and shoot singlestack. y'all have a screwball laws there.

CZ SP01 is on Production list and on CA roster also FYI, lots of folks are getting that as their 'value' production gun (vs. chasing the unicorns).

yep, with SSE gone in california, getting a shadow in is impossible almost. i was offered $2,500 for mine at a match a while ago!

if you want a CA roster gun and you want a steel gun for production i agree with getting a regular firing pin block SP01. all of the availabel cz awesome makes it fun.

the main things i think you lose to a shadow are the beaver tail, the beveled mag well, the longer slide release, extra checkering. But those are pretty minor. the only thing you can't overcome is the tiny tiny bit longer reset you get with a fpb gun versus a shadow. czc, aa (who I like of course) and cgw can all get you set up!

the main things i think you lose to a shadow are the beaver tail, the beveled mag well, the longer slide release, extra checkering. But those are pretty minor. the only thing you can't overcome is the tiny tiny bit longer reset you get with a fpb gun versus a shadow. czc, aa (who I like of course) and cgw can all get you set up!

Not even that bad - the SP01 frame is identical from base SP01 through Accu-Shadow - all have high beavertail, bevelled magwell, longer slide release and extra checkering. (other things like extended mag release, shadow safety lever, trigger, you can swap in).

It's the short dustcover CZ75 that is different CZ75B (low beavertail) vs CZ75 Shadow or SA (high beavertail), AFAIK.

Edited by trgt

Thanks for clarifying. Having owned all of those at one time, you think I'd get it straight! I still think for a CA shooter now who wants to shoot a CZ in production to get a CA roster SP01 and get that built and call it a day!

I shot a glock 19 at my first steel match 3 months ago, in production. The slide bit my hands horribly under fast draw and fire, something I've never experienced I'm static target shooting. So I moved to an m&p full size, and cured that issue, but after much reading(mostly on this forum), the apex kit will put my m&p into limited, and I feel that I would be out gunned right off the bat by the perfect single action triggers off the 1911/2011s. I believe that if you already shoot single actions well, then limited would be a great place to start, and there will be plenty of competition to drive you to practice harder and get faster.

Edited by dunndealin

Thanks for clarifying. Having owned all of those at one time, you think I'd get it straight! I still think for a CA shooter now who wants to shoot a CZ in production to get a CA roster SP01 and get that built and call it a day!

Or you can beat the odds by finding an SP01 Shadow slide and place it in an SP01. ;)

I shot a glock 19 at my first steel match 3 months ago, in production. The slide bit my hands horribly under fast draw and fire, something I've never experienced I'm static target shooting. So I moved to an m&p full size, and cured that issue, but after much reading(mostly on this forum), the apex kit will put my m&p into limited, and I feel that I would be out gunned right off the bat by the perfect single action triggers off the 1911/2011s. I believe that if you already shoot single actions well, then limited would be a great place to start, and there will be plenty of competition to drive you to practice harder and get faster.

I have been shooting L10 and Single stack is up next (using the same pistol). Trying to prep for the next thing I want to get classified on and that is Production. Won't be shooting Limited or Open until California's magazine capacity laws change. Not willing to break the law for a sport.

No, hammer fired guns must have the hammer down at the start signal.

I have been shooting L10 and Single stack is up next (using the same pistol). Trying to prep for the next thing I want to get classified on and that is Production. Won't be shooting Limited or Open until California's magazine capacity laws change. Not willing to break the law for a sport.

I totally agree with you. Luckily I stocked up on standard cap mags in the 90's ;)

Anywhoo, since all hammer pistols must start hammer down (unless they are decockers) and there are no double action 1911's on the Production list, you will have to comprimise on your want for an all steel single action pistol in production.

I am a big fan of SA pistols but over the years I have decided to also include Striker and Double action pistols into my collection.

IMHO, the closest thing to a SA all steel pistol is a customized SP01 (or Shadow) with a trigger job and a short reset setup. You will have to start hammer down for the first shot, but all other shots will be taken in the Single Action mode. If you have a stage that requires you to load the pistol before starting, then you won't have to worry about it for that stage.

"IMHO, the closest thing to a SA all steel pistol is a customized SP01 (or Shadow) with a trigger job and a short reset setup. You will have to start hammer down for the first shot, but all other shots will be taken in the Single Action mode. If you have a stage that requires you to load the pistol before starting, then you won't have to worry about it for that stage."

I have come to the same conclusion. Going to get myself a SP01 and get it worked.