Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home Electronics an extreme disappointment

I've had a few tuners over the years, but the latest one is a fairly high end Pioneer. It's only 4 years old and we've used it to power our very limited home entertainment system. We have never used the AM/FM or Sat radio features. We have used it to run the ATT Uverse, Apple TV and the DVD player.

The tuner is wired to two JBL tower speakers, a center speaker and a sub.

Recently they stopped playing intermently and just tonight, the whole tuner died. No abuse of any kind. It just stopped playing/powering the other units.

When this originally started, a restart or power down would get it going again. Today, none of that worked.

So, I anticipate having to throw all of this crap in the garbage. If that happens, I want to replace this with something more hardy/long lasting. Maybe the radio/sat function is killing me........

Ideas??

Take it from me with a long history of A/V. Contrary to the trends you see in the box stores and ads, less is WAY more. Keep it simple. For Me - The TV, PVR, BluRay, Roku and Xbox One are all routed directly to the HD TV via HDMI. The Audio is routed from TV via F/O to a Simple Bose Solo 15 system. No, it is not going to shake the floor, but for processing A/V out of the above it is way more than what you need in the average room. The TV handles the switching and makes operation very easy. Something the others in your home may appretiate. Hence the Roku and BluRay. Yes, both of those functions can be completed by the Xbox One. But do I want the Xbox running (creating heat) just to watch Netflix or BluRay? Nope. And try to explain to your girl friend the Xbox controller.....

My Audio is totally different. A Two channel analog system very simple and sole purpose in life is to Play Vinyl and CDs. While in the room it may look like it is integrated into the A/V, but it is not and does not even share the same 110 circuit for supply. Simple and Pure. Installed in a salamander open rack system for cooling.

These 50lbs everything processing systems are nice at first, but they generate a LOT of heat and there is a LOT going on inside. The power supplies are a weak link in a lot of them due to current requirements. Combined that with the heat and stress on the circuit boards and its a hot mess.

KISS

Rt

The bane and demise of a lot of expensive electronics is the home power supply. If you are getting a lot of voltage fluctuations and surges they will kill electronics over time. I say this as someone who has lived in several cities, states, countries - spend the money for a good battery backup / surge protector and be prepared to replace it every couple years.

As to the system itself, I completely agree that simple is better. I'm not a huge fan of Bose because they over-market and over-price their products. That said, they do sound fairly nice. But what ever you choose, get a simple amplifier and you can feed the audio out from your TV to the amp and everything you watch will go to the speakers.

And the speakers don't need to be huge. A three speaker rig with two small speakers and a sub woofer with it's own power will fill a room quite well.

If you really want fancy, then go to a specialty store and bring your wallet - because it's gonna set you back a bunch.

Have you tried different speakers? My semi high end denon intermittently quit playing the other day and I was almost sick. After checking everything I found that the Kids had crossed a wire behind a speaker and it was shutting down to protect the unit. I am now a year later and it is still running fine.

This is probably not the case with yours, but worth checking.

I miss the days of McIntosh monoblocks and Album covers and liners that were works of art in themselves!

I agree that simpler is better. Currently have a middling onkyo system and it works and sounds good, but when it goes (and I am sure it will) I think I'm going to simplify and go back to a vacuum tube receiver (old Sansui most likely) and basic components. Probably just run a soundbar for the TV.

Graham, you hit that right. I use a APC 1500 for just the TV/Xbox/junk stuff. I just don't want to loose power in the middle of Borderlands 2.

For the audio side, utility power is a nightmare (as with digital) and then add in the complexity of these do-all receiver things and you have a mess. Even with my two channel analog system I use a power generator, or more commonly called online system. A standard UPS backup output is expecting switched based power supplies to equipment - that is not what a robust power amp is expecting. My two channel is expecting a smooth sine wave all the way through.

I had a house one time with a bad receptacle in series with the power conditioner, you could the thing go nuts trying to smooth bad power.

Bamboo, I went from Electrostatic Speakers powered by mono blocks with outboard DACs and Pre-amps. I did not need to cut my heat on, that system took care of the heat during the winter. Scalded back to a Set of Spendor's and Integrated AMP with outboard phono preamp. I am not anti-digital. My house is littered with airports streaming from my MacBook to small systems. This is for cocktail hour and cleaning the house. After cocktail hour I can retire upstairs to the analog world and light off some Rob Zombie or Jack White - depending on mood. Thinking about building second system with a Jolida Tube Integrated.......

The amount of $$ I have spent on audio I could have at least a half dozen SVI's sitting in the safe - its about priorities.

About the Bose - I have often used the phrase "no highs no lows, must be Bose". But, for my application it works. The audio is coming directly from the TV so the sync between audio and video is spot on. With the past Onkyo Intergra's and Pioneer's I have played with, the audio sync was a PITA. You had to calibrate each source. Frankly I did not notice so much until a girlfriend pointed it out. OMG - ignorance was bliss. I chased that problem way too long.

I've been through the audiophile phase and now buy all my electronics at yard sales and moving sales. Sure the technology is usually a couple years old but at this point in my life I don't care about absolute perfection and I can buy a 7.1 receiver for $20. I do still have and use a set of one-off Duntech (Australia) speakers that are incredible even with digital music.