Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson Combat Shok Buff... worth doing? IDPA legal?

ArrDave

I'm replacing the FLGR in a S&W E I have on order with the WC flat wire recoil spring... which came with a shok buff. Two questions.

1. Is it CDP legal in IDPA? I've read the rules and it seems like it could go either way, if it was a mod to increase reliability of the gun, I could see it being legal, which the case could be made for it I suppose.

2. Does it do what it's supposed to? Does it reduce muzzle climb appreciably? Just seems a lot like a "Turbonator"

Obviously the course of action will be "try and see if you like it", which I plan on doing, but figure I can at least kick tires in the interim. Thoughts?

1. Yes.

2. Maybe. I tried them in my STI Trojan and they were chewed up within 200 rds. I don't use them. Some people do. You could have a problem releasing the slide from slidelock or the gun could have problems with the slide not travelling far enough to the rear.

Try them and see.

1. Yes.

2. Maybe. I tried them in my STI Trojan and they were chewed up within 200 rds. I don't use them. Some people do. You could have a problem releasing the slide from slidelock or the gun could have problems with the slide not travelling far enough to the rear.

Try them and see.

That's pretty much what I imagined. The website makes them sound like they're some revelation to the 1911 pattern pistol and you'd be a fool not to use them but I fail to see how a nylon washer could make a gun run better.

Wilson buffs are soft, I use Classic Pistol hard buffs. After installation check for spring stacking and make sure your slide lock still works. I like the feel of the recoil impulse with the buff vs no buff. The CP buffs last 700-800 rounds in my 40s&w limited gun.