Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First revolver for SSR on a budget

Highwayman

To begin, my carry pistol, competition pistol, and nightstand pistol is also the first pistol I got from a cop relative when I turned 21. Glock 17 in an Arch Angel, oddly functional despite the comical size. I nearly bought a discounted Springfield 1911 for competition, that deal fell through. Now again I have the annoying itch to cheat on my Glock and waste ammo money. For whatever reason, I'm drawn to a revolver. I was taught with one as a kid using some antiques, it's been years since I've fired one except for a recent IDPA stage which required we all shoot a loaner. I can't imagine any practical reason to own one considering I carry a full size pistol, and even a cheap .380 offers more rounds than a larger duty revolver. Plus, it has the worthless sights, worse recoil, and it would cost more than it's worth to modify it to keep up with a semi.

Yet, I still want one. Ideally a beater from the used gun counter, as inexpensive as possible without becoming hazardous. Probably just a .38 instead of a .357, no need for the exotic loads. I'd love to run it in Action Pistol solely because it looks very fun, and I'd like being able to beat a couple semiautomatic guys using a wheelgun.

There are scores of fixed sight Smith and Wesson Model 10s sitting in used gun counters across the country. You can probably score one for 200 - 300 bucks. Used Rugers are probably also cheap.

Keep in mind that IDPA did away with SSR. SSR and ESR have been combined into one division called Revolver. The only real change, other than scoring them together as one division, is that ESR power factor was reduced from 165 to 155.

I bought a Model 10 for SSR and will be running that in the new division if I ever get free time to shoot a match.

You could always mill off the front sight, cut in a dovetail and use a 1911 FO front sight. I've got a Ruger Speed Six I had cut to 3" and did that for the front sight. Works great!

• 2 months later...

I am very happy with my Safariland 568 Custom Fit. Comes with both a paddle and belt loop attachment system.

I run the same rig. Works quite well.

You could look around online for one of those NYPD model 64s. J&G sales is a good place to start.

Archived