Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload with Retention

RMark

I will be shooting my first IDPA match this weekend. I have been going over the rules. I have a question on a Reload with Retention. Where can I put the retented mag? Can it go into the vest pocket? Where is the best place to put it? Is it best to stow the mag first, then get the new mag, or draw the new mag first and change mags and stow?

Mark

all depends on your gear, skill level, body type and what you've practiced.

i drop the mag to be retained into my left hand and place it in my left lower vest pocket.

i reach for the new mag and reload it into the gun.

simply just that. not in my belt, not tac loading at the mag well opening, not bringing the new mag up first.

if i am doing a rwr and no vest then i do the same thing but drop it in my left pants pocket and everything else is just the same.

Try a couple of methods and see what works best for you. I do a RWR exactly as described by rowdyb, but I stick the removed magazine inside my pants waistline just on the left side of my belt buckle. It took me a while of experimenting, but that approach was the fastest and easiest to perform consistently for ME. That approach might not work for others because of individual physical and gear differences. I know other shooters who place the removed mag in their rear pants pocket, and others who always do a tac load. See what works best for YOU1

Finding a place where you can be consistent, where the mag will be secure during movement and that is fast is important.

I struggle with consistency and security when using my waistband but it is probably the fastest. I struggle with consistency when using my front weak hand pocket. Using an open mag carrier may be useful during the Classifier Stage 3, Strings 1 & 2. It is consistent but probably not the fastest.

I just got a pair of 5.11 Taclite Pro Pants and the rear pockets are cut in a diagonal shape that meets the reciprocated angle of the same side front pocket. You can practically drop the mag into these pockets. It creates an almost perfect circular motion of stowing the mag, to acquiring the fresh mag to inserting the mag into the weapon. Since getting these pants and practicing with them, I have increased the speed of my rwr by leaps and bounds. This works the best for me.

I also wear 5.11 pants and because of my mag placement using the pockets can be tough. Vest pocket is a good option but that can move around some and then you still have to sweep it out of the way. I prefer the belt method, it's always the same place and my hand is already under my vest ready to grab the fresh mag. But like others have said practice and see what works for you, I practiced most of these methods and I'm faster and more consistent stowing the mag in my belt.

Finding a place where you can be consistent, where the mag will be secure during movement and that is fast is important.

I struggle with consistency and security when using my waistband but it is probably the fastest. I struggle with consistency when using my front weak hand pocket. Using an open mag carrier may be useful during the Classifier Stage 3, Strings 1 & 2. It is consistent but probably not the fastest.

I use the waistband almost exclusively because I'm not always wearing the same clothing, etc… and it's consistent. Beastly is right on the money; it's probably the fastest option but ensuring it's secure is important. I've popped the "secured" mag out on a couple of occasions, especially if a later portion of the stage requires bending, kneeling, prone, etc...

I wear jeans and stow in the front left pocket. Waistband for me sometimes, but there's a lot of competition for real estate in that area, so the pocket is more reliable for me.

Mag goes in the pocket, hand goes up and back to sweep the vest and get to the new mag, and then reload per usual.