Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou 147gr FP seating problem?

MilkMyDuds

I have been loading plated Xtreme and PD FMJ before with my Dillon SDB. Today, I got some Bayou 147gr FP to try.

Only loaded 5 of them, and I noticed that for all of them there is always a small amount of lead exposed at the case mouth after the bullet was seated, before the crimping. I pulled one of them and saw one side of the bullet is badly scratched.

Is this normal? Is the expander die on my Dillon SDB bad?

Please advise. Thanks.

post-56818-0-99048000-1428358600_thumb.j

I would check to make sure that you are using a flat-tipped seating stem; otherwise, the bullets will want to tilt while being seated.

For Bayous I don't use the flat seating stem as they're a bit curved on top. I use a Hornady seating die which has a floating sleeve to align the bullet and get more consistent OAL with the ogive seating stem than the flat stem.

I would check to make sure that you are using a flat-tipped seating stem; otherwise, the bullets will want to tilt while being seated.

Is the one on Dillon SDB flat-tipped? I know when I seat plated RN bullets, there is a ring on the tip of each bullets.

I don't have any experience with Dillon equipment; however, the Hornady Custom and RCBS seating dies include both a cupped and a flat stem. You should be able to look up into your Dillon die and see the cup; the die can also likely be disassembled so you can directly inspect the seating stem.

Looks like the bullet is not going into the seater straight up and down. Take the time to make sure the bullet enters the die straight.

Add bell and make sure that your seater is not closing the bell as the bullet is being seated. This can be a cause of the scraping in the area depicted in your picture.

You may have to raise the seating die itself and lower the stem to get back to your preferred OAL to prevent the seater die from closing the bell.