Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Etiquette Question

ES13Raven

The next up shooter is not expected to tape or set, it is now his stage to get the mojo/juju ready. Everyone knows the rotation, it's not that hard to follow. Newbies need to learn the protocol also.

We have added this part to our new shooter orientation. As well as the part about re-setting, tearing down and setting up stages before and after that matches.

Not acceptable. It's one thing if they want to hang back and get the best look they can at the stage from behind the firing line, but they need to stay off the stage.

I do think it's acceptable for the on deck shooter AND the "in the hole" shooter(shooter after next) to walk the stage during pasting. The on deck shooter should always get preference, but if I'm about to be on deck, I'll wait until the on-deck shooter is out of a position before I start trying to air gun and from that spot. On-deck always has preference, but i don't mind if the guy behind me is walking the stage too as long as he stays out of my way.

I don't think this is acceptable in my experience most of the time they still get in my way. Often he is focused on his run through and plain old just gets in my way.

Even if you wait until I get half way downstage here's what happens, I'm on my second stealth and here comes the In the Hole shooter walking back up range up through the stage disturbing my run.

On Deck Only is the only fair way to do it.

Just a small point of order...if we are talking USPSA rules...

3.2.4 After the written stage briefing has been read to competitors, and any questions about the course of fire have been answered, competitors should be permitted to conduct an orderly inspection (“walkthrough”) of the course of fire. The duration of time for the inspection must be stipulated by the Range Officer, and it should be the same for all competitors. If the course of fire includes moving targets or similar items, these should be demonstrated to all competitors for the same duration and frequency.

8.7.3 No person is permitted to enter or move through a course of fire without the prior approval of a Range Officer assigned to that course of fire or the Range Master.

8.7.4 Altering stage props, targets or any other part of a COF without the approval of a Range Officer, or setting, resetting or activating moving targets on a COF identified as “Closed” or “Off Limits” will be subject to the provisions of Section 10.6. Any person interfering with the scoring or resetting of a course of fire in any way may be assessed a procedural penalty or be subject to the provisions of 10.6. The Range Master shall be called in all cases, and will make the decision as to what penalty to assess.

So technically, it is never "your" stage unless the RO grants it to you. If you interfere and have not been approved to be on the course of fire, you can be assessed a penalty. And yes, I realize the title incldues the word "local", but I wanted to go and read the rules.

When I see knuckle heads doing this I ask them politely "Are you on this squad?" even when I know they are not.... When they say they are not on the squad currently shooting the stage, I not so politely tell them beat it until its their squads turn to shoot the stage.

Along these same lines. When I see one or two shooters from the next squad meander over to the next stage to "Watch" I ask them point blank why they are NOT with their squad and assisting with taping, brassing, ROing or whatever else. This usually results in some mean mug looks from the dead beats but they usually go back to their squad/stage and start working.

Just a small point of order...if we are talking USPSA rules...

8.7.3 No person is permitted to enter or move through a course of fire without the prior approval of a Range Officer assigned to that course of fire or the Range Master.

So technically, it is never "your" stage unless the RO grants it to you. If you interfere and have not been approved to be on the course of fire, you can be assessed a penalty. And yes, I realize the title includes the word "local", but I wanted to go and read the rules.

Usually the head RO gives a quick briefing before the walkthrough and mentions that only the on-deck shooter is allowed to walk the stage. That sounds like the permission needed.

The next up shooter is not expected to tape or set, it is now his stage to get the mojo/juju ready. Everyone knows the rotation, it's not that hard to follow. Newbies need to learn the protocol also.

We have added this part to our new shooter orientation. As well as the part about re-setting, tearing down and setting up stages before and after that matches.

This is good. Set the clear expectation with new shooters.

The ONLY thing I would ever do in the middle of a squad in front of mine is help paste and reset. And that is only for locals and smaller L2 matches.

Other than that, just relax and watch the show. I find I learn more watching the squad in front shoot that stage then getting caught up in wanting to walk it before my squad has the honors. Plus I like to watch people shoot.

The ONLY thing I would ever do in the middle of a squad in front of mine is help paste and reset. And that is only for locals and smaller L2 matches.

Other than that, just relax and watch the show. I find I learn more watching the squad in front shoot that stage then getting caught up in wanting to walk it before my squad has the honors. Plus I like to watch people shoot.

Yep and sometimes you even get a bit of free entertainment! :)

Especially if you get the pleasure of having somone on your squad like Shane Coley and Matt Sweeney, and K.C Escubio is on the squad ahead of you, like I did at A5 last year. You'd better believe I watched their runs for pointers! :bow:

This thread needs some kind of "Agree" award. :)

yeah, i think we should all head back over to the 'Production Optics" thread where we can get back to yelling ... I mean .... explaining to ... each other what the correct opinion is .... :)

Edited by Nimitz

I have been known to voice my displeasure at locals when this happens........this and squad jumping.

The one thing that almost as annoying as the next squad in the way is the previous shooter not moving. Look dude, your run is over, you shot what you shot, now stop hogging the position. :D