Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Etiquette Question

ES13Raven

Scenario: The squad behind you has finished their stage and they are waiting for your squad to finish your stage, but your squad still has several shooters that have not shot yet. During the stage resets, shooters from the other squad start walking the stage, taking sight pictures at the shooting positions, rehearsing etc.

Does this happen at your local matches?

Is this acceptable at your local matches?

IMO, it's very bad form to be walking the stage while the next squad is on it.

However, if my squad rolls up and the next squad is still on it, I will paste targets and set steel to help them out. Most of the time it seems like the squad is dragging ass because it's always the same 3-4 people working, brassing and pasting. When those 3-4 people are loading/cleaning mags, on deck, etc, resetting the stage comes to a slow crawl.

I might happen to see a few targets while helping paste/brass.

Generally no, stay off the stage until the prior squad is finished.

If the prior squad is dogging it, some assistance might be nice if it is not their fault (reshoots, REFs, etc)

If the prior squad is just being lazy bums, some motivational speech might be in order as well.

Good way to get a rough toned, "hey, get off the stage man" if they are trying to dial in a run. Good way to get a "hey thanks" if they help reset and tape. No one is more important than anyone else, so just please wait your turn.

Sorry to go off topic but what I hate just as much is rolling up to the final stage and hearing, "hey, can you put me at the top so can go?".......

On deck has it until Make Ready is called.

Many times I learn more by watching the squad in front of me shoot the stage. I see a couple of different plans and sometimes I can determine the best one for me quicker during our walk through when I see what works for the prior squad.

Stay off the stage until your squad is up. Period. Its hard enough to do a quick couple walkthroughs as the on deck/up next shooter. Don't need 10 extra people in the way. You can walk up closer to look at some angle, but stay off the actual stage until its your turn. When you see the squad in front of you shaking hands with the RO or picking up their bags, then have at it if you want a couple extra minutes before the WSB.

Scenario: The squad behind you has finished their stage and they are waiting for your squad to finish your stage, but your squad still has several shooters that have not shot yet. During the stage resets, shooters from the other squad start walking the stage, taking sight pictures at the shooting positions, rehearsing etc.

Does this happen at your local matches?

Is this acceptable at your local matches?

It is NOT ACCETABLE and you throw them off the stage.

The only exception I see to this is with open squadding and you run up on a micro squad of 2-3 shooters, generally newbies, and see them strugling to score and tape and set. Then I will offer our squad to help them, so we can get them out there quicker.

Edited by 9x45

Not acceptable. It's one thing if they want to hang back and get the best look they can at the stage from behind the firing line, but they need to stay off the stage.

I do think it's acceptable for the on deck shooter AND the "in the hole" shooter(shooter after next) to walk the stage during pasting. The on deck shooter should always get preference, but if I'm about to be on deck, I'll wait until the on-deck shooter is out of a position before I start trying to air gun and from that spot. On-deck always has preference, but i don't mind if the guy behind me is walking the stage too as long as he stays out of my way.

Robbie,

I agree with you except about the last part. When its my turn to shoot, thats my shooting area while the rest of the squad is taping and setting up.

Those on-deck guys have a way of getting in the way, especially when they are rightys and Im a lefty. or vice versa.

Edited by mike cyrwus

When I first started shooting, I tried to do that, and the more experienced shooters on my squad politely informed me that it was social faux pas. If they don't say anything about it, the RO should issue a gentle reminder to please stay off the stage. I don't have any issue with people helping reset, especially if the squad shooting is undermanned. You can get a decent look at things while taping and setting steel.

Yeah, but I've noticed some taking advantage by doing airgunning and walkthroughs in addition to taping. We should all be mindful of the etiquette and give all the room to the squad that's on the stage. Our time will come.

Next squad should ABSOLUTELY not be walking the stage! On-deck shooter only.

Proper etiquette would be to stay out of the way completely. Good sportsmanship would be to help out pasting and resetting steel so that the stage moves faster.

Robbie,

I agree with you except about the last part. When its my turn to shoot, thats my shooting area while the rest of the squad is taping and setting up.

Those on-deck guys have a way of getting in the way, especially when they are rightys and Im a lefty. or vice versa.

+1

The next up shooter is not expected to tape or set, it is now his stage to get the mojo/juju ready. Everyone knows the rotation, it's not that hard to follow. Newbies need to learn the protocol also.