Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 decapping HELP

Last night I began installing the 223 conversion on my 650. When I got to the resizer and decapping die portion, the decapping pin bent within the first two cases. I replaced the pin with the extra one that came with the die set. Again within four cases the pin bent and is rendered useless. The dies I purchased are the steel dies and not the carbide if that makes any difference. The brass I am using is random range brass in 556 mostly. Any insight would help...

I ran across so brass with a IK 13 5.56x45 headstamp that has a flash hole with too small ID. I have a Dillon die on my size/trim tool head so luckily it just backed the pin out of the collet.

What head stamp was causing you issues? If you are not sure you might try sorting by headstamp until you can figure out what one is causing you problems.

Edited by jmorris

Like Steve said, check for Berdan cases (and rocks!) and use a dedicated universal decap die if you're processing "unknown pedigree" brass for the first time. The decap die is much more durable, I've found.

Mark

Of the few cases I did run through the first stage, the two that did not give me problems has a head stamp that says LC with NATO symbol. I'm assuming Lake City. The problem cases that I ran into say IK 13 556x45. These appear to have smaller primer holes after I inspected more closely. The pin has a harder time going through this hole. The pin appears to struggle going through these. The LC cases the primer hole appear bigger. The pin easily goes through this hole.

I was unable to go through more of the range brass because my back up pin is now broken as well.

IK ammo is Yugoslavian (I believe) so it's likely not of standard, US dimensions like your dies are. I'd toss 'em, personally. Also, the LC is indeed Lake City but will show varying degrees of primer crimp. Those will need cleaning up before continuing. Happily, you need only do this once in the life of the case. A pocket swager (there are several types available) is the easiest and fastest way to address the crimp issue. Don't use you case deburring tool. ;-)

Mark

If you look into the case you will see two little holes instead of one. Can't be deprimed in the normal manner. Can be done with liquid but is messy and a lot of work.

Hiram Berdan - American - invented them which are used in Europe

Edward Boxer - British - invented them which are used over here.

I had the same issue with 5.56 brass. Fixed with a universal lee de capping die. I run through a single stage just to de prime then tumble resize on progressive then trim and de burr lastly loadem up

Truthfully, I use it only on the first loading BUT I leave it in Station 1 on my 550 anyway. For subsequent loadings, I resize on a single stage, trim if necessary then tumble the lube off.

When I load the already-sized brass on the Dillon, the Universal decap serves only to make sure the flash hole is poked clear in case there's media stuck in it, before the case gets primed.

This seems to be how most of us in the Highpower and Service Rifle fraternity do it.

Mark

one other thing I haven't seen mentioned ? Are you 100% sure your getting the brass seated all the way in the Shell plate ? If thats not adjusted correctly I've broken decapping pins too.. just food for thought

I use a Lee Die set. It has an excellent pin design and more times than not will just push up and not break. Also sizes a bit tighter.

It is a steel die also believe the only carbide dies are Dillon and Redding. Depends on the number of rounds you will load before carbide

die purchase. You need to look for Berdan Primers and lube cases.

Thanks all. The cases are properly seated in position according to the Dillon manual. I will start separating the LC cases from the rest. The IK cases I will set aside probably in the trash. I have the Lee depriming die on it's way. I'm thinking of ordering yet another dillon tool head just for depriming. I don't want to buy an additional single stage press just to deprime the cases.