Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Targets

D.Hayden

Who sells those pepper poppers that launch the clay birds into the air when they fall?

And for the small stakes that hold clays, are there plans for these anywhere?

I'm looking for the type where the clays hang on, not sit in the groove. Or is this as simple as angle iron (V towards shooter) with a small cross top?

The flippers can be found at: http://www.mgmtargets.com/

MGM also has stationary clay holders.

A simple piece of rebar with a bend at the top, or a T welded on will do the job. Angle iron stakes also work. Anything you can pound in, that can then take a pounding and that keeps the clay aligned is what you want. The ones we have at Richmond are mostly the MGM ones pictured here: http://www.mgmtargets.com/pigeonholder.htm

--

Regards,

The pigeon holders at Richmond are basically slots and they take a beating such that they become narrow and won't hold clays. Also, the holders rotate on the bars. I've seen some (at WNPL?) made entirely out of rebar that don't move and take a licking and keep on ticking.

Todd, you're such a gamer! Nice stage win! Someone has to shoot at them to lower the average hit factor.

I was looking at MGM Targets... hard to find things there.

I see the Cowboy flippers, I'll have to write and ask about a normal popper (but it may just be an add on to a normal popper?).

I was looking for the type they used at Area 2, a little more compact.

I'll grab some rebar, that sounds like a very cheap solution.

The pigeon holders at Richmond are basically slots

Erik, those are the older crappy ones. We now have about 14 of the nice angle iron MGM type. I used all of them on one stage at the last long gun match in September. The only problem at Richmond is getting anything to actually grip when you try to drive it in to the crushed rock layer on some parts of the ranges.

Dave, the flipper on the Cowboy Popper is the same one that fits/works on any Popper. You stake it into the ground where the head hits the ground and that’s it. Sometimes you need to make sure the popper is stopped from over traveling if the popper is over activating it.

--

Regards,

Dave, the flipper on the Cowboy Popper is the same one that fits/works on any Popper. You stake it into the ground where the head hits the ground and that’s it. Sometimes you need to make sure the popper is stopped from over traveling if the popper is over activating it.

George, this is perfect... finally dawned on me that I only need to get these, and "add them on" to the normal poppers.

Thanks again, as always....

Someone has to shoot at them to lower the average hit factor.

Under IPSC rules (and USPSA rules) you always have the option to declare them as double value targets under rule 9..4.1.1.

9.4.1.1 In order to recognize a difficult shot in a course of fire, a small number of metal and/or frangible targets may score double value for a hit. The use of such targets is restricted to not more than 10% of the total number of targets in the match. Their use must have been approved during the course review process and they must be clearly identified in the written stage briefing. SG & R only

Dave,

Call Mike at MGM Targets and he can set you up. His Pigeon Flippers were $45 last time I checked and they mount up to any of his bases for PP, USP, or Colt Speed Plates. They are very reliable launchers.

His stakes are well made and fairly priced. They are sold in six packs. (But don't shoot after drinking) :P

The number one reason to buy from Mike is that he sponsors so many of the three gun matches out there.

Later

Dave Benzick

The number one reason to buy from Mike is that he sponsors so many of the three gun matches out there.

I'll second that Mike is a great guy who makes might fine targets. I'll buy from him again for sure.

Codyb