Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bob standard GI hammer for high-ride beavertail?

I am planning to add a high-ride beavertail to a Remington R1 (a standard 1911A1 configuration pistol). As the trigger out of the box is acceptable, rather than replacing the existing GI-style hammer with a commander-style, I am thinking about simply bobbing the existing hammer to clear the safety. Is there any reason why this might be a bad idea? How much could I reduce the weight of the hammer by before I start having ignition problems?

I am planning to add a high-ride beavertail to a Remington R1 (a standard 1911A1 configuration pistol). As the trigger out of the box is acceptable, rather than replacing the existing GI-style hammer with a commander-style, I am thinking about simply bobbing the existing hammer to clear the safety. Is there any reason why this might be a bad idea? How much could I reduce the weight of the hammer by before I start having ignition problems?

I'd wager bobbing the hammer will increase strike energy, not reduce it. Most hammers are significantly above optimum mass for max strike energy and taking a little off improves performance. That's why Apex hammers and reduced mass strikers are standard aftermarket additions to use with reduced power mainsprings.