Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding hard to maintain a proper finger contact on a Glock 22

BCGlocker

After shooting Para-Ordinance P14 and P16 for some years, I found very hard to keep the trigger finger pad on a Glock 22 as it recoils during precision shots (i.e. 25-yd headshots where I trying to obtain a surprise break). I am not compliant about the recoil, rather is what happened to the contact area of my trigger finger during the recoil. A few times, the contact area of the trigger finger ends up at the first joint. I suspect because these were precision shots, I ease the grip in order to obtain the surprise break; unlike the usual “flash picture/firm grip” shooting with near targets. Because I had to reposition of the finger to the pad in these precision shots, it significantly slows down the following shots. Does anyone have the same problem? Any thoughts and suggestion?

How long have you been shooting the G22? Is it the factory trigger?

I have the G22 for 20+ years; however, I competed with Para P16 in IPSC and just recently using G22 as my IDPA SSP gun. I shoot OK with G22, but just don't like the position of my trigger finger after precision shots.

I am a long time Glock 22 shooter and I have never had any issues maintaining finger contact with the trigger. That being said, I am aware there are two schools of thought on whether or not a shooter's finger should maintain contious contact with the trigger while shooting.

I am never one begrudge anyone for doing something taht works for them, but for me personally, I like my tirgger finger to maintain positive contact with the tirgger while shooting. Generally, after my trigger press, I hold the trigger all the way to the rear while I follow through and get my sights back on target. Once I've done that, while keeping contact with the trigger, I let the tirgger out to reset then begin pressing again - repeating as necessary (I never go beyond reset before pressing again since my follow through has put my back on target). With practice and repetition, I believe it is just as fast as qucikly releasing the trigger by removing your finger comletely from the trigger and reaquiring it during your follow through prior to your next shot - regardless of how much time you're taking between shots.

But, Iike I said, just do what works for you and is the most comfortable and, like Pat mentioned above, practice a lot.

I am a long time Glock 22 shooter and I have never had any issues maintaining finger contact with the trigger. That being said, I am aware there are two schools of thought on whether or not a shooter's finger should maintain contious contact with the trigger while shooting.

I am never one begrudge anyone for doing something taht works for them, but for me personally, I like my tirgger finger to maintain positive contact with the tirgger while shooting. Generally, after my trigger press, I hold the trigger all the way to the rear while I follow through and get my sights back on target. Once I've done that, while keeping contact with the trigger, I let the tirgger out to reset then begin pressing again - repeating as necessary (I never go beyond reset before pressing again since my follow through has put my back on target). With practice and repetition, I believe it is just as fast as qucikly releasing the trigger by removing your finger comletely from the trigger and reaquiring it during your follow through prior to your next shot - regardless of how much time you're taking between shots.

But, Iike I said, just do what works for you and is the most comfortable and, like Pat mentioned above, practice a lot.

Thank you for your reply. I want to do just what your described. Again, I found hard to maintain the finger contact during a relatively relaxed grip in a precision shot. No problem in resetting the trigger during spray and hose.

I maintain a high and firm grip even out to shooting 9" plates from 50+ yards away...I too maintain finger contact on the trigger. I only shoot Glocks and have shot them for many years, don't recall having the problem you experience but everyone has different issues for each firearm. I shoot a G34 for IDPA, a G17 Open Gun and a G21. I don't relax my grip, stance etc. Like the others said, practice will cure in time. Hope you are able to work it out.

When I go to the 2 range -3 times each week to train. I usually bring 3-4 Glocks, (G17, G22, G23 and G27). I actually train relatively short sessions (less than one hour) with lots of dry fires. My round count is less than 100 most of the time. I just realize the pinch only occurs when I shoot “hot” loads with my EDC G23 or G27. I think is due to a combination of pistols’ compact size and defense loads that cause the frame recoils violently which cause the pinch. I compete with Glock 17 and 22, never have any problem with the full size gun.