Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 steel challenge stages in 1 bay?

TheBrick

Greetings,

Anyone have any experience, positive or negative, about setting up 2 stages in one bay.

The club I am working with only has 3 bays and I don't think It is worth anyone's time to come and shoot 3 stages.

I am going to try and put 1 official stage and 1 outlaw stage in each bay.

Any experience in what does and doesn't work would be appreciated.

thanks,

Peter

I've done that before and it works well as long as it's set correctly for timing. Also, it's never a good idea to have two squads shooting in the same bay at the same time so don't do that. As long as one squad is in the bay and they just move over to the next stage in that bay, there would be no problems. This does limit how many shooters you can accommodate though and balance match time. If you have 20 person squads and multiple guns in three bays for SC, that would take all day...literally :)

Yep. Set up your stage. then pull the targets and wood down. Then set up the second stage and leave it up. Shoot first stage up. Then drop the targets and put up the second stage targets and there you go! No biggie.

DougC

Yep. Set up your stage. then pull the targets and wood down. Then set up the second stage and leave it up. Shoot first stage up. Then drop the targets and put up the second stage targets and there you go! No biggie.

DougC

What he said. We have 5 bays and shoot 7 stages.

GNG4life, I was planning on allowing only one gun per shooter and 1 squad per bay. As far as timing, I think the non moving official stages are about equal and I have 3 outlaw stages of about the same not so difficult array and distance. First match so I want people to feel good about their shooting to get them to come back.

Doug: Setting up and taking down the posts and plates for the stage not being shot is a great idea.

Thanks,

One other question,

One bay I have available slopes up, meaning that the floor of the range rises up in height.

Any advice in how to figure the 2x4 height difference at a given distance to give the same target height as if the floor were level?

I am only eyeballing right now. I know it is not the ideal situation but one that I have to live with.

It looks weird but really doesn't seem to shoot different after having shot the same stage on a level range.

did this last month so we could shoot an 8-stage match before the Nationals .... setup Outer Limits & Speed Option side by side in one bay. I left the bay just before it open at the start of the match (no squad) so that a squad wouldn't have to wait since when a squad got to that bay they would shoot both stages before they left. worked great as by the time the squad which started out on the double stage bay was done the squad behind them was just finishing up the previously empty bay/stage ... no waiting all day ...

Edited by Nimitz

We do that here - 1 bay, 2 stages. Left/right. Squad one shooter 1 goes, finishes... squad two shooter 1 goes, finishes.... range is safe and paint 'em. Squad one shooter 2... squad 2 shooter 2.... etc.

• 2 weeks later...

We have accomadated two stages in one bay. Two squads. First shooter engages targets then the second shooter engages their stage. Clear each shooter after they complete their strings, then go and paint the steel.

KelsonAK,

Thank you. Unfortunately we don't have that wide of a bay.

Fuelie777,

How wide is your bay that you can accommodate 2 stages?

We would like to utilize 1 bay for 2 stages but trying to figure out how some of the clubs out there are accomplishing this with somewhat of a narrow bay.

• 4 weeks later...

Heres our experience on a 25 yard by 45 yard bay that we have used for our sectional matches. We have done the same type of set up successfully a number of times since, with up to a couple hundred shooters over a two and a half day match (but with a set squadding schedule, not open as in the first case):

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26393

Edited by kevin c

KelsonAK,

Thank you. Unfortunately we don't have that wide of a bay.

Fuelie777,

How wide is your bay that you can accommodate 2 stages?

We would like to utilize 1 bay for 2 stages but trying to figure out how some of the clubs out there are accomplishing this with somewhat of a narrow bay.

our bay is about 40 yds and we do Outer Limits and Speed Option since it s also the deepest bay at 35 yds. if your bay is deep enough you should be able to setup Outer Limits and Showdown on a single somewhat narrow bay as neither of those stages are very wide ... Edited by Nimitz

• 1 month later...

This has been an interesting read and I appreciate the OP and all the info shared by you guys. I was considering doing this at one of my ICORE matches this fall more for a time reason than a space reason. I was trying to get the time in the short classifier/steel challenge stages to be about the length of time for some of the longer field courses I had intended to set up.

Lots of good insight from everybody, and again, much appreciated.

There is a nearby club that does this for steel challenge. Two stages in one bay. They always do it the same way, one shooter goes and then the other but alternating strings, so One shooter doesnt finish all five strings before the other and It is tough to get used to. If they did it like others here have described and let one shooter start and finish all five strings without having to stop and let the other shooter go, it would be much more enjoyable. Dont do it the way this club does it. very hard to get in a goove or feel like your doing well at all. but thats just my opinion.

This club also sets up the same five stages every time and I dont think I'm going to participate in any steel challenge matches there this year because of those two reasons.

We do that here - 1 bay, 2 stages. Left/right. Squad one shooter 1 goes, finishes... squad two shooter 1 goes, finishes.... range is safe and paint 'em. Squad one shooter 2... squad 2 shooter 2.... etc.

^ Do this :)

come down and shoot at my match .... :) we rotate 6 stages every month with one 8-stage & two 7-stage matches as well. When we have a match where we're shooting Outer Limits & Speed Option in the same match they are on one bay and I have only one squad at a time on that bay so the squd shoots OL first, then movs to the other side of the bay & shoots SO and then leaves. I always leave one stage open between this bay and the one in front of it so squads don't back up since it obviously takes a little longer to shoot 2 stages then one ....