Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou 147 coated 9mm load

chetc

recently i purchased the Bayou 9mm 147gr FP, this bullet has the groove, before that i was shooting the SNS casting 147gr FP without the lube groove, these shot great with 3.2 or 3.0 if TG, for some reason maybe someone has been down this road, but i cannot get this bullet to group, at 25yds my groups opened up over 2" larger than the SNS no lube groove bullet, i hate to give up on the Bayou 147 FP bullet, any ideas why i cannot get them to work, i am shooting a Sig P320

Chet

What is the exact bullet diameter and is it larger than the barrel's actual groove diameter?

Do they fit your seating stem well, such that the bullets aren't being seated crooked?

Have you chrono'd them?

Have you called Donnie and asked?

Have you adjusted COL and determined if a longer COL will improve accuracy (shorter COL seldom improves accuracy)?

TG burns very hot and has never been recommended for lead bullets and particularly NOT for coated bullets. You might want to try a better powder.

Can you accept that some bullets in some guns simply don't perform well, while being great in other guns?

What is the exact bullet diameter and is it larger than the barrel's actual groove diameter?

Do they fit your seating stem well, such that the bullets aren't being seated crooked?

Have you chrono'd them?

Have you called Donnie and asked?

Have you adjusted COL and determined if a longer COL will improve accuracy (shorter COL seldom improves accuracy)?

TG burns very hot and has never been recommended for lead bullets and particularly NOT for coated bullets. You might want to try a better powder.

can you suggest a better powder, i am loading as long as i can to stay within .015 off the lands

Can you accept that some bullets in some guns simply don't perform well, while being great in other guns? yes i understand that...

OK, lets start with the questions that should have been asked first, What gun are shooting these from?

Is it a stock or after market barrel?

then we can go into the OAL of the round.

TG is fine for coated bullets, I have been using it for 3 years with no issue at all, in 9, 40, and 45 all Bayou bullets.

I'm very happy with this load out of my S&W 5946 (3rd gen) with stock barrel:

Bayou 147 @ 1.13 OAL

3.4g titegroup

seems very accurate and consistent

933 FPS, Standard deviation 10, Extreme Spread 29 with a 6 shot sample size

>can you suggest a better powder, i am loading as long as i can to stay within .015 off the lands

Are you loading 0.015" of free bore or is that as short as you will go and you are actually loading a lot closer to the lede/rifling? I load most lead/coated bullets to just touch or be no more than 0.004" off the lands, depending on ensuring that feeding and chambering is 100%. You first establish a COL and then you work up a load so, even if touching the lede/rifling does raise pressure (which I have not seen in most handguns), it doesn't matter as you are working up the load at that COL.

In today's climate, you have to use the powder you have. I prefer AA2, Scott 1000, Bullseye, Red Dot, 231/HP38, N320, and others over either TG or Clays.

COL doesn't depend on the gun, per se, it depends mostly on the chamber of the barrel--and that varies from barrel to barrel.

OK, lets start with the questions that should have been asked first, What gun are shooting these from?

Is it a stock or after market barrel?

mainly the new full size Sig P320, stock barrel, going to check with a chrony,

then we can go into the OAL of the round.

TG is fine for coated bullets, I have been using it for 3 years with no issue at all, in 9, 40, and 45 all Bayou bullets.

chet

I would try some loads a few tenths less and and as long as your not m=near mas a few tenths more

May just be a matter of tuning that bullet to your gun, and the chrono is your friend

FWIW

I've shoot 5 -6 thousand of Donnie's bullets through a SIG 226 and x-5 and never had an accuracy issue

and they shoot well out of both guns

• 3 weeks later...