Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 & 1301Comp

ffgats

the M2 just arrived 3 days ago, kinda somewhat dissapointed, was expecting to much I guess

- had a hard time inseerrting shells into the mags, really have to push hard.( shell catch needs some polish)

- the bolt release was a struggle to activate, same with the safety

From the BOX, I think the 1301 is a better gun

- shells load freely into the mags, even the follower drops freely out of the mag

- all the control parts works smoothly, better trigger

plus much cheaper than $400.00

this comparison is base from when I received both guns, no modification done, ( direct from the factory)

BTW- I am not an expert or a Pro , just a initial impression from a average gun enthusiast.

The M2 is a fine shotgun right out of the box, it is not ready for racing. It needs to go to Mike Cyrus at Accurate Iron to be the work of art you are looking for.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt it's a fine shotgun, I am just comparing both the M2 and 1301, from the factory but at least Benelli could have it desirable( shell catch, bolt release etc) . These parts are standard to every semi auto, instead bringing it a smith . Beretta is pretty close in selling their 1301 as comp ready

I currently run a Beretta and I admit I choose it when it first came out because to me it was the most ready shotgun out of the box. Like others I just can't get quads to be successful with it, and I admit I am pretty sure I am going to replace it in the off season because of that. Great Shotgun to get in the game with since you just need to slap a Nordic tube on it and you are ready to go, but due to being unfriendly to quads the long term success is doubtful.

If I was to do it today I would get a Stoeger from MOA since you can have a nicely equipped ready to race M3k from MOA for Beretta money. So far the M3K has proven itself to be a might fine shotgun, already picking up a couple major match wins. May not be TTI M2 nice, but at a third of the price it's mighty close - heck a M3K is basically a Benelli anyway

Is everyone's struggle with quads isolated to strong hand loading? I can't find any problem loading mine weak hand....

Mine is - I could see where weak hand could give you a different angle of attack so to speak that might be more conducive to quads. I just feel I have better control of the gun, and remount faster by going strong hand

loading quads right now is not my priority, my problem is on the grabs, fingers are just not long or inclined to . so will stick with twins.

I can see your point with regards to M2's ergonomics when it comes to quads or even twins- credit to its forearm design.

My M2 is already sold, have it for 2 days, wish it comes more refined from the box ( shell catch, safety, bolt release ,trigger) especially I paid $400.00 more than my 1301.

• 4 months later...

the M2 just arrived 3 days ago, kinda somewhat dissapointed, was expecting to much I guess

- had a hard time inseerrting shells into the mags, really have to push hard.( shell catch needs some polish)

- the bolt release was a struggle to activate, same with the safety

From the BOX, I think the 1301 is a better gun

- shells load freely into the mags, even the follower drops freely out of the mag

- all the control parts works smoothly, better trigger

plus much cheaper than $400.00

this comparison is base from when I received both guns, no modification done, ( direct from the factory)

BTW- I am not an expert or a Pro , just a initial impression from a average gun enthusiast.

The M2 is a fine shotgun right out of the box, it is not ready for racing. It needs to go to Mike Cyrus at Accurate Iron to be the work of art you are looking for.

With his site currently "down", is there a way to reach him?

loading quads right now is not my priority, my problem is on the grabs, fingers are just not long or inclined to . so will stick with twins.

I can see your point with regards to M2's ergonomics when it comes to quads or even twins- credit to its forearm design.

My M2 is already sold, have it for 2 days, wish it comes more refined from the box ( shell catch, safety, bolt release ,trigger) especially I paid $400.00 more than my 1301.

Where did you pick yours up?

Are you looking for an M2? Or a 1301?

Looking for an M2. Best price I can find on the M2 field right now is $1299. From what I've read, I'm interested in sending an M2 out to Mike / Accurate Iron for a race package upgrade, but I cannot find any info. nor pricing(?).

Currently running a Versa Max.

Check out Bud's Gun Shop. I bought a 24 inch M2 from them earlier this year, I used their "make an offer" feature and got it for $1150. I sent my M2 (as well as the M1 I was shooting previously) to Taran Tactical Innovations to have all the work performed. Couldn't be happier with their work, they both look super bad ass, load like butter, and are dead nuts reliable.

Looking for an M2. Best price I can find on the M2 field right now is $1299. From what I've read, I'm interested in sending an M2 out to Mike / Accurate Iron for a race package upgrade, but I cannot find any info. nor pricing(?).

Currently running a Versa Max.

If you're looking to get custom work on an M2, you should see about getting a good price on a used one.

Most custom Benelli shops do a bunch of internal work on them anyways, respringing etc.

Contact Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports for M2 work also, 361 241 1091 He has been doing them longer than any of the others and he does the Benelli factory guns. Having been around Benellis for a long time and just looking at the Beretta guns I bet a M2 will out last a Beretta by a long shot.------------Larry

Edited by Larry White

Contact Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports for M2 work also, 361 241 1091 He has been doing them longer than any of the others and he does the Benelli factory guns. Having been around Benellis for a long time and just looking at the Beretta guns I bet a M2 will out last a Beretta by a long shot.------------Larry

Just curious (not argumentative, honestly curious) what potential failure points you see in the Beretta that prompt the above statement? Although to be fair, isn't it commonly excepted shotgun lore that Benelli's have proven to outlast everything else anyways?

The funny thing is, every time a new shotgun comes out everyone always says "it's as good as the M2, runs like the M2 etc etc"

Why even mess with what "might" be as good as an M2. Just get what others strive to be and be done.

Mike and Benny both do incredible work on Benelli's, you won't be disappointed with either that you choose.

Tony, pull the forearm off a 1301 and look at all that stuff under there. The 1301 and gas guns in general look like they were designed by someone getting paid by the hour. Just too many parts, seals, pistons , collars and sleeves and springs. I like the kiss idea, keep it stupid simple. And simple is the M1 or M2. They say the proof is in the pudding, if you ever get the chance look at Kurt Millers M1, that's the pudding.-----------Larry

Edited by Larry White

I'll agree that fewer parts is generally better than more, but I wouldn't go as far as to say the gun with more parts is a ticking time bomb. Unless it's a 930, that's definitely a bomb!

I've seen pics of Kurt's M1, that's the kind of dirty, ugly, beat down pudding I like best.

I beleived the original post was specific of the 2 models from the factory, if you spend another $500.00 for the other gun to make it better or get its full potential, then it will not qualify as gun OUT from the box.

• 1 year later...

I've owned both and shot them stock and modified. The 1301 is much nicer out of the box, my stock M2 was stiff and tight, it took some breaking in.

The M2 design is probably stronger and simpler, will last longer. But I think you'd have to be pretty hardcore to wear out a 1301. 

Once you work on them they're both smooth as silk.

As far as loading, I'm not qualified to tell you ;-p 

I'd probably get a $1000 1301 for general casual use or spend twice as much on a raced out M2.

What I would not do is spend $800 modifying a 1301 or attempt to shoot a stock M2 without a bunch of mods. Understood?

Edited by Frankly

I run a 1301 and have shot my buddy's Taran modified M2 at Multigun Nats a couple years ago.  The finish on the M2 to my mind is better and it is slightly lighter than the 1301.  I really liked the M2 but will stick with my 1301.  With equal loads the 1301 shoots noticeably softer like Mick says.  In addition after break in I have shot loads down to 900 fps 1 1/8 dram up to 1350 pfs reliably.  You will probably need 3 dram minimum with the M2 to keep it happy.  My 1301 is indifferent to ammo shooting everything from bulk pack to AA.  The M2 is a bit more particular.

There are two reasons the 1301 is harder to quad than the M2.  The first is that the mag tube in the 1301 is buried deeper down in the receiver and there is nothing you can do about that.  The other is the shape of the stock loading port.  Some can quad with it, I couldn't.  I checked out the IPSC shotgun shooters and Beretta factory shooter's loading ports and modded mine the same way and quads are quick and slick now.  the real tricks are to open the port forward and to reshape how the lower receiver moves into the foregrip.  

Whichever you have make sure you fit the shotgun to you via all the adjustments in the stock.  That is the single most important thing I have found with shotties.  

Loading%20port%203_zpsekudsf2w.jpg<a loading%20port%202_zpsjggpa21x.jpg

Edited by Neomet