Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 & 1301Comp

ffgats

HI

I already have a the 21" 1301 Comp and very happy with it, runs perfect. However the dealer that I inquired ( about 10 months) for the M2 21" with Compact Comfortech just called that they have one in stock and asked if Im still interested. Without committing to him I said will think about it, but seriously I want it. Can you Gents share your opinions and experience between the M2 and 1301, like

Recoil, Handling

From the Box do I need anything, like parts and some modification for the M2 to run like the 1301

Just for comparison, the only modification on my 1301 was, lifter, loading port, and front sight ( change to hi viz), the only thing thats not so great with the 1301 is the placement of their serial#, it limits the lowering of the loading port. And Lastly the M2 cost $450 more.

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot the Benelli M2 and Beretta 1301 and the Beretta has les recoil. I did not like the recoil impulse of the M2 and bought the 1301.

But that is my personal preference. The M2 is a great shotgun and they run and run as long as they are fed the minimum power loads required.

With that said, the Veramax has the lowest felt recoil, but is also the heaviest. The Beretta is light and fast handling like the m2 but softer shooting.

I would suggest shooting an M2 and see how you like it first.

Just my $0.02 ( = CAD $0.0251, so it's worth more :devil: )

Mick

The dollar exchange is brutal for the last 5 months, Originally I was looking for the M2 ( 21" with compact stock) but it was not availiable , never heard of the Beretta 1301 before, good that I mentioned to my brother that I was in the market for a shotgun, thats when he suggested the 1301, glad I followed his advice, but "Judas" wants me to get the M2 as a second shotgun and still keeping the Beretta.

My cousin started with the 1301 amd prefers the way it shoots to the m2 for him. However the way the reciever is designed made it difficult for him to quad load even after extensive port modification. So he picked up a 26" m2 he prefers loading the m2. With the shotgun loading it is probably more important than shooting. He shaved at least a second off his loads by switching to quads. If you can quad load the 1301 you may not see the benefit he did.

^ Curious what issues your cousin had quad loading? I just started loading quads from old school weak hand three weeks ago, I was sub 4 seconds with decent consistency after a few hours practice. About a week later I had identified all the areas I wanted to open or smooth out, did some mild port work and now it's 3.5 seconds for 8 shells loading weak hand quads very easily. To the OP, I have a decent amount of time with both platforms and I find the handling qualities similar. Switching from one to the other is not going to change your life. I ended up with a 1301 and I'm completely content. Had I ended up with an M2 I would still be completely content. The grass is equally green on both sides of that fence as far as I'm concerned. That said, I would never consider buying a gun outside those two platforms, nothing else seems to be in the same reliability class.

The profile of the M2 and its ergonomics lend it an ease of quad loading that is not inherent in the the quad loading of the 1301.. Tony you need to post video of you quad loading. There is a big step off and hand guard issues that need to be addressed with the 1301. I would buy that M2 in a heartbeat.

I've never had a chance to try quad loading an M2, I'll admit that's an important aspect of the guns that I can't compare. I'll try and get a video up tonight, if for no other reason than keeping my credibility intact.

I am the previously mentioned "cousin" with both platforms. I really love shooting my 1301, but couldn't quad load it very well. I like many other people kept hitting the shells on the front of the loading port and bobbled my loading. Some people have no issues, but quite a few of the shooters experience my issues. I welded the lifter, and did some serious dremel work to the loading port which helped. I decided to get the m2 which I can load much faster. Now that I can quad load my m2 really well and can quad load my 1301 better since I have more practice with the loading style, but still catch shells on the face of the loading port occasionally and am consistently 1/2 to 3/4 seconds slower with the 1301. Long story short, the 1301 is a pleasure to shoot especially with slugs, but seconds count and I now shoot an m2.

So it is safe to say that both shotguns recoil the same, well not exactly but very close or not even noticeable?, That one thing I like about my 1301, its not so hard on the shoulder even shooting slugs.

For M2 owners, any problem with light target loads, still reliable?

I emailed the dealer telling him I would seriously think about it, :devil: , its gonna be an agonizing coming days :angry2:

Its almost impossible to get the M2 with 21"bbl with Compact Comfortech Stock here in Canada.

Edited by ffgats

The difference in recoil shooting identical loads between the M3 and 1301 was very noticeable, for me.

However, you seem to have talked yourself into getting the M2... :)

Mick

Finally figured out how youtube works:

and from another angle:

Sorry for the bad lighting and post-birthday-party mess in my house, I made these videos to keep track of progress with no intention of posting them on the world wide web.

I'd say 2 3\4 dram shells are the bottom end of what can be expected to cycle in an M2. My Taran Tactical M1 will cycle 2 3\4 dram 1 ounce loads with great reliability, ymmv. As far as recoil impulse, I own a 1301, and it is not much if any softer than my Benelli. Both will thump you a little, but are not unreasonable by any means.

Nice reloads TonytheTiger! I'd love to see the port work on your 1301. The second shell tends to get hung up on my loading port unless my technique is perfect....which it rarely is. Darn port seems to have the wrong contour if that makes sense.

I've found my 1301 much more relaxed about ammunition than my M1, which is quite an advantage. My 1301 cycles 65mm cartridges happily which gives me an extra round compared to 70mm loads - so I can get 14 in the gun on an option 2 start with only a +7 tube - 13 in the tube one on the lifter

Edited by converse320

Finally figured out how youtube works:

and from another angle:

Sorry for the bad lighting and post-birthday-party mess in my house, I made these videos to keep track of progress with no intention of posting them on the world wide web.

Very nice man. Do you use the very tip of your thumb to push the shells in or do you use the pad of your thumb?

I would say I use the side of the pad. The most important part of my port work was moving the front edge of the port forward and then tapering the receiver smoothly from the front of the port almost to the fore end. That way my thumb doesn't really have to poke into the port, as long as I'm keeping good downward pressure on the gun with my loading hand, it's gonna get the shells to the shell catch without issue. The taper up to the fore end is important so that my thumb never feels like it's hitting a wall, it's transitions smoothly from pushing the shell rim to sliding up out of the receiver with no obvious change.

I did it myself. I like to think I'm pretty handy and frugal (the wife agrees, but uses different words to describe me...) and I have a hard time parting with a gun for a couple weeks while someone else works on it. I used a table saw to cut a 45 degree angle on some 2x6 that I built a jig out of to keep the dremel at a consistent depth and angle when I did the receiver sides. I then got a bunch of different sized flap wheels so I could get just the radius I wanted when doing the front of the port.

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the Thread, I just called my dealer and will go with Compact M2, lol

Question, by changing to reduce power recoil spring, does it help cycle for light target loads ( 1oz,2 3/4 drams), and mild recoil slugs too

I want to keep same ammo for both of my shotgun

• 1 month later...

the M2 just arrived 3 days ago, kinda somewhat dissapointed, was expecting to much I guess

- had a hard time inseerrting shells into the mags, really have to push hard.( shell catch needs some polish)

- the bolt release was a struggle to activate, same with the safety

From the BOX, I think the 1301 is a better gun

- shells load freely into the mags, even the follower drops freely out of the mag

- all the control parts works smoothly, better trigger

plus much cheaper than $400.00

this comparison is base from when I received both guns, no modification done, ( direct from the factory)

BTW- I am not an expert or a Pro , just a initial impression from a average gun enthusiast.

the M2 just arrived 3 days ago, kinda somewhat dissapointed, was expecting to much I guess

- had a hard time inseerrting shells into the mags, really have to push hard.( shell catch needs some polish)

- shells load freely into the mags, even the follower drops freely out of the mag

this comparison is base from when I received both guns, no modification done, ( direct from the factory)

BTW- I am not an expert or a Pro , just a initial impression from a average gun enthusiast.

The M2 is a fine shotgun right out of the box, it is not ready for racing. It needs to go to Mike Cyrus at Accurate Iron to be the work of art you are looking for.

These are my observations of the guns straight out of the box as well.