Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Both eyes open up close?

bradhall

I believe you lose around 70% of your vision when you close one eye. Try focusing on something hanging on your wall and close your non-dominant eye and you'll see how unclear it becomes.

I shoot both eyes open both up close and at distance. It is best if you can train yourself to do that, but certainly not necessary.

Yep, on all three platforms. Closing an eye feels odd to me now. I even keep both eyes open when shooting weak side with the long guns.

I find myself zeroing rifles, pistols, and shotguns closing one eye. But during competition I always keep both eyes open at all times. As Mark said it feels just odd to close one eye, but for some reason it helps me to make sure I have a Tight zero.

I shoot with both eyes open out to 15 meters with a pistol and iron sights. Even quick headshots on a B-27 are attainable.

I shoot with both eyes open out to 50 meters with a rifle using iron sights. I shoot a bit farther with both eyes open using an Aimpoint. I think it makes it easier to pick up movement and transition from one target to another.

Edited by BTDT83

Yes on close targets. Scope with good illumination and a true (or darn close to) 1x helps a lot. Makes it feel like a red dot. Usually close my off eye on longer precision shots though

Both eyes open, all 3 guns, all the time...

Really helps with eye fatigue on long range rifle or extended durations as well. And at times my long range rifle can be extended duration...even on stages :)

For me it depends on the accuracy requirement. If the shot is really highly accuracy intensive then I'm going to naturally close my non-dominant eye so I can "see what I need to see". If its a common low accuracy shot, I can usually see what I need to see with both eyes open which allows me to shoot, transition and move quicker.

The best example I saw of this was during a law enforcement training. The instructor would be teaching and all focus was on him. Then he would have someone bang loudly on the door and everyone's head would turn. He would then ask "when that noise startled you all, how many turned and looked intently with one eye?". Our natural fight or flight is going to be to look with both eyes wide open and the eyes will even start to flatten to take in direct threats which is why "tunnel vision" happens. With that being said I have also had long range precision shooting from special forces and none of them will say "okay we're shooting out to 800 yards make sure to keep both eyes open". Up close at 1x bang away both eyes open at 5 or 600 close an eye it's okay.

• 2 weeks later...