Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Bullet feeder

I haven't had my MBF long, but knocked out 3300 rounds just recently in only a 3-4 hours. It makes it so easy to load 500-700 rounds. You don't get tired, because you aren't reloading ammo for long periods of time. I can just walk over to the loader and literally load 100 rounds in 5.5 minutes. Trying to keep of a pace like that without the feeder actually started hurting my left hand, trying to keep bullets fed in to the case mouths.

I do not regret buying it. Now I want to buy more primer tubes.

I'm surprised more people don't use the gsi? Cost is about the same and with the gsi you get another toolhead (bonus) and you don't loose a station as it'll place and seat in the one station.

Their collator is massively different to the mbf. I can see the mbf is more flexible for using many different calibres/bullet types but apart from that is there something wrong with the gsi that I'm missing?

I'm surprised more people don't use the gsi? Cost is about the same and with the gsi you get another toolhead (bonus) and you don't loose a station as it'll place and seat in the one station.

Their collator is massively different to the mbf. I can see the mbf is more flexible for using many different calibres/bullet types but apart from that is there something wrong with the gsi that I'm missing?

I build my own collators. The GSI, as it comes with a billet tool head is an even better deal on the 1050. The tool head/feeder with everything except the collator is $320 a bare tool head from Dillon is $200.

I just bought my first 1050 yesterday. I've had my 650 for 14 years and have been shooting a lot more rifle now and the swage was worth it. I'm interested in a bullet feeder option for my 1050 as well (which will be dedicated to 223). Curious to see what is recommended here, GSI vs MBF.

Nick

GSI feeder is pistol only as far as I know. The MBF does both rifle and pistol.

With the placement of the powder station on a 1050, how difficult is it to visually verify the powder drop inside each case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by razorfish

GSI feeder is pistol only as far as I know. The MBF does both rifle and pistol.

With the placement of the powder station on a 1050, how difficult is it to visually verify the powder drop inside each case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no problems looking into each case on my 1050 with MBF.

I did see the MBF is available for 223 and 308. I wonder if the rifle version can be converted to pistol. Or even the other way around.

Firerarms, Parts and Accessories

www.suncoastarmory.com

The dropper is caliber specific but the collators are (at least on the pre DA version) the same, except for a double stack feed wheel and flipper (they also send a nose guide but I didn't need it).

Jmorris. If you were running a 650 and just 2 calibres (9mm and 38 super in approx equal volume) would you run the gsi of mbf (setting aside collator for a moment).

I like my toolheads setup like this:

S1: either universal decapper or sizer/decapper ( for 2station sizing)

S2: sizer or even undersize sizer with decap pin removed of course

S3: powder drop and flare

S4: lee or redding seat die

S5: lee factory crimp die

I can alternate that with a 4 die+ powder check and might with a bullet feeder.

I really like the way the gsi uses a disc which seems more reliable than a dropper. And I love the idea of not loosing a station to just place the bullet.

What worries me is greater cost in setting up a second tool head. For the mbf it's just another dropper die, for the gsi it's another too head.

I'm terms of the collator does anyone know if the gsi ring type could deal with the following without conversions:

All between 355 and 357 diameter

120gn swc hitek coated

125gn swc hitek coated

124gn rn cmj

135gn rn cmj

In fact probably 90% would be the last two. The 135s in 9mm and the 124s in super.

All help/advice appreciated.

Jmorris. If you were running a 650 and just 2 calibres (9mm and 38 super in approx equal volume) would you run the gsi of mbf (setting aside collator for a moment).

I like my toolheads setup like this:

S1: either universal decapper or sizer/decapper ( for 2station sizing)

S2: sizer or even undersize sizer with decap pin removed of course

S3: powder drop and flare

S4: lee or redding seat die

S5: lee factory crimp die

I can alternate that with a 4 die+ powder check and might with a bullet feeder.

I really like the way the gsi uses a disc which seems more reliable than a dropper. And I love the idea of not loosing a station to just place the bullet.

What worries me is greater cost in setting up a second tool head. For the mbf it's just another dropper die, for the gsi it's another too head.

I'm terms of the collator does anyone know if the gsi ring type could deal with the following without conversions:

All between 355 and 357 diameter

120gn swc hitek coated

125gn swc hitek coated

124gn rn cmj

135gn rn cmj

In fact probably 90% would be the last two. The 135s in 9mm and the 124s in super.

All help/advice appreciated.

I also have a different GSI for 38/357 too. You don't have to buy complete extras if you don't want to they sell conversions. From 9mm to 38 super you could just get die nuts that clamp to the die or are locked in place with a set screw. No need to swap anything except the dies themselves. That method has wored for the last 30 years returning dies to an exact dimention on my single stage presses.

The only tool heads for the 650 that I don't have the pwder drop on #2 are tool heads without a powder measure mounted on them.

My GSI's are no more reliable than the KISS/MBF they both work fine, I guess the GSI has an edge when it comes to bullets falling out of the mouth when advancing to the seating station because it feeds and seats at the same station. However, that can be over come on the dropper style.

Have no idea on the collator. They didn't make them back when I bought my first tool head from them so I have always made my own.

Edited by jmorris

Thanks for that jmorris. It does help.

It sounds like I could forget having multiple toolheads and just use a gsi head with a universal decap in 1. The calibre specific size die in 2. Powder drop and flare in 3 (both super and 9 use the same funnel). The gsi seater in 4 (maybe get 2 so I can leave them set) and the calibre specific fcd in 5.

So I'd just need some rcbs or hornady rings with the set screw and to switch from 9 to super just change die 2, 3 and 5. And the powder bar.

Hmm. Not a bad idea. :)

Vetdocone. I do have the inline fab light kit but if adding a bullet feeder I'd want to load faster and in that case the powder check may be a worthwhile option. :)

Edited by BeerBaron