Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Magazine Release Replacement Question

W_Buck

Can I replace the extended magazine release on my SP01 Shadow with a magazine release from a CZ Tactical Sport? Looking a the rule book it states:

"Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OFM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers."

Now the CZ Tactical is single action only and therefore not on the approved production gun list, however in the special notes section there is this statement:

"A factory/OFM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides a larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OFM part available on an approved model of gun."

Since the CZ Tactical Sport magazine release is an OFM part, manufactured by CZ UB/USA, and it only extends the length of the magazine release it seems that this modification would be legal. What are some are some of your thoughts?

Well word from NROI is not legal. See response below:

That's not what the rule says. It's basically saying that the replacement magazine release can only be as long, and not longer, than the one being replaced. It doesn't say that it can "extend" as in, "make longer" the magazine release. It says it can only be as long as the magazine release being replaced. The difference is in where the word "only" is.

A factory/OFM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used.

vs

A factory/OFM magazine release which only extends the length of the magazine release may be used.

While the rule is pretty badly written, it still prohibits extended magazine releases. Even the second one is not very good, but could be taken to mean that an extended magazine release could be used.

Hope this helps.

Troy

I find that interpretation pretty interesting as it is exactly opposite the way it has been interpreted up till now. I had assumed the interpretation would come back as illegal because the donor gun was not on the production approved list, but instead it says all extended releases are illegal, I wonder why we have a clarification section if no extended releases are legal?

Just to be clear this makes every G17 with a G34 mag release illegal in production. also all the gen 4 G34's extended releases are illegal too. and on the CZ's I don't know what models come with extended releases but now you cant mix and match parts.

I think Troy misread that. The rule clearly says in plain english that you can use an OEM release that extends the length, but not one that increases the surface area (like a paddle) unless it is available on an approved production gun.

edit: I no longer hold this opinion, see post below.

Edited by motosapiens

That's the way I read it. The only reason I thought it would be legal is the statement:

"A factory/OFM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides a larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OFM part available on an approved model of gun."

To me, this says any factory/OFM magazine release can be used if it only extends the length of the magazine release. If the replacement also added surface area it would have to come from another approved gun. The TS mag release is an OFM part that only adds length and no surface area, therefore is doesn't matter that the TS is not on the approved production gun list. I thought it would be good to go. The interpretation NROI made is completely different from any way I've ever heard it before.

Just to add clarification all of the quotes I used were copied and pasted word for word from the current USPSA handgun rule book. The bolding and underling were done by me for emphasis.

Edited by W_Buck

That's the way I read it. The only reason I thought it would be legal is the statement:

To me, this says any factory/OFM magazine release can be used if it only extends the length of the magazine release. If the replacement also added surface area it would have to come from another approved gun. The TS mag release is an OFM part that only adds length and no surface area, therefore is doesn't matter that the TS is not on the approved production gun list. I thought it would be good to go. The interpretation NROI made is completely different from any way I've ever heard it before.

I agree with you 100%. My experience with Troy is that he's a smart guy, and when he figures out he's made a mistake, he's not afraid to say 'oopsie' and admit it. There may be some other reason I'm not aware of for prohibiting the extended release you desire, but the placement of the word 'only' in the underlined sentence above is certainly not such a reason.

Edit: I no longer hold this opinion either. See post below.

Edited by motosapiens

I agree with you 100%. My experience with Troy is that he's a smart guy, and when he figures out he's made a mistake, he's not afraid to say 'oopsie' and admit it. There may be some other reason I'm not aware of for prohibiting the extended release you desire, but the placement of the word 'only' in the underlined sentence above is certainly not such a reason.

I suppose it is possible that there may be another reason. I will keep looking through the production rules to see if anything stands out. I may try to email Troy again and see if he is willing to take another look at the rule.

Bizarre!

If he maintains this position it will complicate issues and render many current production guns non-compliant (until the "offending" part is swapped out).

This is what I had expected:

... I had assumed the interpretation would come back as illegal because the donor gun was not on the production approved list, ...

It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Edited by ac4wordplay

Bizarre!

If he maintains this position it will complicate issues and render many current production guns non-compliant (until the "offending" part is swapped out).

This is what I had expected:

... I had assumed the interpretation would come back as illegal because the donor gun was not on the production approved list, ...

It will be interesting to see how this develops.

I agree. My reading of 21.6 is with the rest of you guys in that the "only" part of the sentence was intended to disallow buttons or paddles, and that you could install a longer mag release, such as the Gen 3 G34 mag release on a G17, or the CZ Shadow mag release on on non-Shadow CZ based on the 1st para in 21.6.

Prior to reading Troy's response I would have said no to the TS' mag release since its not from a model of gun that is on the Prod approved list.

Now confused I be. Maybe its a good thing my Shadows still have their OFM mag release.

Prior to reading Troy's response I would have said no to the TS' mag release since its not from a model of gun that is on the Prod approved list.

Now confused I be. Maybe its a good thing my Shadows still have their OFM mag release.

But based on the special clarification section:

The magazine release being swapped doesn't have to come from an approved gun as long as it OFM and only adds length and not surface area. The TS magazine release is an OFM/Factory part. The way I read the rule, the only magazine releases that have to come from an approved production list gun are ones that add surface area.

I was going off what the 1st para of 21.6 says (above the Special Notes section) that says:

Any other component which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer, except as clarified below.

Like Bikerburgess pointed out, I interpreted "approved" to mean being on the Prod Approved list. Since the TS is not an approved Prod gun, it doesn't meet that first part of 21.6 (provided I am interp-ing that correctly). Prior to reading Troy's response to you I interpreted this to be the reason why the G34's extended mag release could be installed on another Glock and be Prod legal since you were taking a part from another approved gun.

Right and I agree except for part that says "except as clarified below."

Then below we get the statement I previously posted:

Right and I agree except for part that says "except as clarified below."

Then below we get the statement I previously posted:

Production rules are based on specifics. Can you point to the rule that specifically says you can use parts from a non-approved gun?

That is interesting. I was on the BOD when this was made part of the rules. As a matter of fact I was the one who argued to allow a mag release that extended farther on one side as long as it did not include a button or some other device that increased the surface area.

My argument was accepted and made part of the rules.

Production rules are based on specifics. Can you point to the rule that specifically says you can use parts from a non-approved gun?

Yes. 21.6 under special clarifications, bullet #2, the same rule I've been quoting:

The first sentence specifically allows a factory/OFM magazine release that only extends the length of the magazine release. The second sentence mentions an approved gun, but that is in reference to a magazine release with a increased surface area, such as a paddle or button. The TS magazine release is a factory/OFM part and it only extends the length of the magazine release. There is no increase in surface area, no paddles or buttons. Therefore it is specifically allowed. The approved gun clause only applies in the event the surface are is increased, which in this case, it is not.

That is interesting. I was on the BOD when this was made part of the rules. As a matter of fact I was the one who argued to allow a mag release that extended farther on one side as long as it did not include a button or some other device that increased the surface area.

My argument was accepted and made part of the rules.

So I take it you feel that the modification I am describing is within the rules?

My concern is the wording of approved gun. Since the gun in question is not an approved gun I would say no it is not ok.

My point that I spoke directly to in the BOD meeting was the XD. Mag releases were welded and machined internally to extend the release to one side. This process used the original mag release that came with the gun. This was approved.

You have been able to take Glock mag releases from a 34 or 35 and put them on a 17 for years. Of course the guns are on the approved list.