Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for Small Android Device

I'm going to be experimenting around with a new ballistics program for long range shooting. My current program is on an old iPod Touch and it's firmware is so out of date that it can't be updated anymore.

The new software is only available for Android at this time and I was hoping to find something about the same size as the old iPod, but the only things I can find like that are smartphones - way too expensive.

Anyone have any experience with a non-phone Android device with a 4.5 to 6 inch screen?

A 7" tablet is convenient for working on, but it's uncomfortably large to use in the field. I'll just have to experiment around and see what's going to work best for me.

That's matter of perception then, I guess. I find mine fits nicely in my hand and the screen controls are easily discerned.

You have to be really careful of super-cheap tablets. Some of those are dual-layer screens (the exact term is resistive touchscreen) that work by physically mashing on the surface and they actually give underneath your finger. They look sort of okay indoors, but milk over completely white or grey outside such that they are completely unusable. Also they typically have substandard battery life that make not make it through the morning, much less a whole day.

Edited by wgnoyes

Too big as in something that's going in a pack along with a lot of other stuff with me into the field for long range shooting. This tablet seems quite well made with an Intel Atom processor. Battery life is reported, in reviews, as 11hr.

Don't even need to buy a used phone... There are several good manufacturers, including Lenovo and Asus that are making cheap phones for under $100. Just confirm that model has a capacitive screen and a battery 2000mAh or so. With airplane mode on it will live for several days of a decent use.

Too big as in something that's going in a pack along with a lot of other stuff with me into the field for long range shooting. This tablet seems quite well made with an Intel Atom processor. Battery life is reported, in reviews, as 11hr.

Actually the Asus is pretty much the google nexus 7, or vice versa. The nexus 7 is built by asus. If you scored one for $80, that's excellent. Where, and can you get them in quantity?

Can't run airplane mode on a device unless you don't care about syncing to a master during conduct of the match, which is a bad practice. But good info about the battery rating.

Edited by wgnoyes

• 3 weeks later...