Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

28in Benelli Vinci for 3 gun?

Shooterben

I want to get into three gun on a budget. The only 12ga i have that accepts extensions is a Vinci, but its a duck gun with a 28in barrel. Will this put me at a disadvantage? Also as far as tubes go, the Nordic seems to be the way to go, but it is a little expensive. I see there are a few options for extended tubes out there. What do you guys use?

Then, by law I can only have a 7 round tube. Will this be a disadvantage? Is there any other small upgrades that are worth it?

Thanks, Ben

Myself and several of my local shooting buddies use a 24" Benelli M2 with the +9 Nordic Components extension. Having the 28" barrel will make it slower to get in/out of ports and around tight corners, but it's an advantage for slug shots (longer barrel, longer sight radius, etc.) IIRC, the Vinci already has a great loading port for load-2/4 so you probably don't need anything there.

My recommendation would be go get out to a match with it, give it a whirl, and see how it works out for you. I suspect you'll be happy with it.

The 28" will be LESS accurate with slugs, not more, then a 24 or 22. Slug accuracy improves with shorter barrels and 24" is a long as I would go with.

That said, you have it, use it. Nordic is the way to go for the extension without a doubt.

I have been using a 28in super vinci with and rci 10 round tube. I'm fixing to switch sg only because the 3.5in gun doesn't cycle low recoil rounds very well. I'd be willing to sell you the tube at a good discount. The RCI tube is one piece and makes it easy to swap the factory tube out easily

Run what you got and see if it works for you. I took a $200 H&R pardner pump without an extension to my first match and still had a blast. Sure I wasn't at the top but it was my first match and I learned a ton. I shot all of last season borrowing shotguns from squadmates and friends until I got an m3000 of my own.

I have a 3in Vinci. But, I can't put on the 10rd tube because of the NY SAFE act. I would need a 7rd tube. But thanks for the offer.

I'll join the band wagon and say your should simply take what you have and shoot. Once you said you are in NY then you'll need to see what local competitors do to stay within the bounds of your state's overly restrictive (my opinion) laws. I grew up in Central NY and am still amazed at what was passed in recent legislative sessions.

Take what you have in all gun categories and try out the competition. Enjoy and good luck.

A 28" barrel doesn't put you at too much of a disadvantage. A little extra weight for swinging-most won't notice that until your game is fairly far progressed. Slow in and out of ports? BS flag since 90% of guys are running tubes that go 6 inches past their 24" barrel.

Get a tube, file the loading port and shoot the heck out of it for a year. By then you will have an idea of what you want/need

Thread drift: FWIW I try very hard not to stick the muzzle through a port if at all possible. It doesn't matter how short/long your rifle or shotgun is, if your not very deliberately pulling it back out of the port there's a good chance you'll snag a sight/muzzle brake on the port and break 180 degrees as you try to haul ass to the next target. Ask me how I know. That and it's not a very efficient movement to be stabbing a gun in and out of windows if you can just stand back and still see the targets, and moving efficiently is more important to a good stage time than lightning fast splits or the endless little gear intricacies we obsess over.

Edited by TonytheTiger

I Agree with caz, b.s. on a 28 being too long for ports. Seems to be the norm to have a 21 or 22 inch barrel with a 12 round mag tube that sticks out 6 inches or more past the end of the barrel. My math tells me that is 28 inches or so...

I use 26 inch barrels on my Nova and my M2 with 10 round mag that is flush with the barrel. No major problems noted.

Is getting a 10 or 12 round tube and pluging it for local laws an option? If so, that's what I would do, that way you can remove the plug when you are out of the state and play with the big boys...

Run what ya got! The Vinci is a GREAT shotgun!

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I Agree with caz, b.s. on a 28 being too long for ports. Seems to be the norm to have a 21 or 22 inch barrel with a 12 round mag tube that sticks out 6 inches or more past the end of the barrel. My math tells me that is 28 inches or so...

I use 26 inch barrels on my Nova and my M2 with 10 round mag that is flush with the barrel. No major problems noted.

Is getting a 10 or 12 round tube and pluging it for local laws an option? If so, that's what I would do, that way you can remove the plug when you are out of the state and play with the big boys...

Run what ya got! The Vinci is a GREAT shotgun!

jj

Unless you can permanently and irreversibly plug the tube, I don't think so. Which then would be pointless, naturally. It isn't some hunting regulation. NY State won't tolerate a "high-capacity" shotgun. Now, what happens if you use very short shotgun shells instead of 2.75"? The authors apparently didn't think of that. I recall reading that such a question is part of the suits against the NY law. Anyway, it's New York and they all have to wrestle with those laws and how they shake out in the courts, I suppose.

Vinci is a great gun from what I've seen. The one I saw in competition had the Roth replacement tube. It looked sweet and ran fine.

And I ran a VersaMax 26" barrel fine in competition. I made sure the CarbonArms replacement magazine tube went slightly past my extended choke. Works fine. People here doing the math on the long extensions on shorter barrels are on to something. It may save a little barrel weight, but really...... Run your 28" and rock it, my friend!! :cheers:

Edited by michael1778

Why would you want the extension to go past the barrel? Does it protect the muzzle when dumping into the barrel? Or is it just to have a shorter and lighter gun? And as far as short shells, Aguila I think makes really short slug shells. Can't wait to run the gun now.

I'd rather put it in a barrel on the extension rather than on my barrel, especially after it was set up by Jeff Cockrum. :-)

I had a much longer one from Nordic for a couple of matches but I didn't like the erosion on it. And it was too long for full stability in some dump barrels. That's one challenge of long shotguns.

In my not-very-awesome opinion, 24" barrels feel very good. My SuperNova pump gun is that length. Feels good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I'm new here, so please excuse me if I am asking something that has been covered before. (This seems to be the best/most relevant thread.)

I'm looking to do the switch from a pump to a semi shotgun. I have done my research and I have decided to go M2. The only length M2 available in my area for the forseeable future is a 28".

I intend to put a +9 Nordic mag extension on it (Regardless of barrel length.) which should take it just short of the end of the 28" barrel?

My only concern is this: Will a front sight on the front of a longer barrel not move around a lot more than on a shorter barrel? Or does the same principle as a longer sight radius on a handgun apply meaning that if you are on target with a longer shotgun barrel/sight combo, you are "more" accurate than with a shorter barrel/sight distance from the eyes?

The chances of a 26" or 24" being available in my area in the next 6 months is unlikely. Do I go with the 28"? Or do I wait? (The only other M2 available at the moment is a 26" Practical M2 with Ghost Sights. I like the tactical look, but it's not ideal for 3 gun.)

Any and all advice and thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

Edited by MarcCT