Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon Clip Server?

tha1000

I'm intrigued with this product. My 625 that I bought came with some IDPA style moon clip holders and I'd like to have something a little more Icore/uspsa friendly. When looking at this product, it basically asks if you are planning on shooting a 9mm (which might be in my future). So this leads me to believe that 9mm moon clips wont work with the same one that I'd use for a 625?? Can anyone confirm this?

Austin's server will work with the 9 mm clips. As well as the 38 super as they are the same moonclip, and the 45. I have used the same one for the 45 and 38 super.

It doesn't use center posts that I'm aware of, looks like the moon clips ride along a metal rail. I've never seen one in person though, im just going from the videos and pictures I have seen.

Mchapman is talking about moon clip holders such as North Mountain. The James Austin Moon Clip Server is great and one works with all moon clips and caliber. I would still get two single post North Mountain for the times you will need to load off a table.

Mchapman is talking about moon clip holders such as North Mountain. The James Austin Moon Clip Server is great and one works with all moon clips and caliber. I would still get two single post North Mountain for the times you will need to load off a table.

Roger that, and it is still an option that is on the table. Attempting to compete with a revolver is a new thing for me, all I know is that these IDPA style moon clip holders I have aren't cutting it.

Ok. Thanks. I became curious because there is a check box on his order page that you are supposed to click if you are planning on using it for 9mm.

The 7 round 9mm clips (986) don't fit well, but no issues with 929 clips.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

The Moonclips do ride on or straddle the rail. The 9mm case is tempered enough to cause binding on the stock rail.

To counter this I have had to grind a taper in the rail sort like the cross section of a knife blade. This is done by hand and is somewhat time consuming. Once done the Server will work with all Moonclips in all calipers and round count without changing anything.

The regular rail will take all Moonclips except the 7 and 8 shot 9mm. So to help me for now I have added the check this box if your using 9 mm.

Thanks James

The Moonclips do ride on or straddle the rail. The 9mm case is tempered enough to cause binding on the stock rail.

To counter this I have had to grind a taper in the rail sort like the cross section of a knife blade. This is done by hand and is somewhat time consuming. Once done the Server will work with all Moonclips in all calipers and round count without changing anything.

The regular rail will take all Moonclips except the 7 and 8 shot 9mm. So to help me for now I have added the check this box if your using 9 mm.

Thanks James

James - do you sell the tapered rail separately? I've noticed that for my 929 moons I need to rotate them when placing them on the rail finding the best position to slide easily. This seems to help the binding issue on most moons. Yes, using same brass, Federal.

Thanks James

James - do you sell the tapered rail separately? I've noticed that for my 929 moons I need to rotate them when placing them on the rail finding the best position to slide easily. This seems to help the binding issue on most moons. Yes, using same brass, Federal.

I do the same thing, also curious on this. Never had an issue getting mixed brass 9mm moons to slide but may have to turn it once or twice.

Thanks James

Thank you for the response. That clears it up.