Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

110 grain .308 bullets anywhere to be found?

jason237m

Wanting to load 110 grain bullets either soft point of plastic tips in my .308, but they are impossible to find. Nosler and Hornady both make them but they are chronically out of stock. Any suggestions out there?

• 2 weeks later...

I recently ordered some Speer 125gr TNT in 500 bulk pack. They are working well in my 300blk and are considerably cheaper than most alternatives. I have seen Hornady, and Speer110's in stock from time to time over the last 2 weeks at Powder Valley Inc, Midsouth shooters supply, Wideners, and lastly Midwayusa, but the Speers were about $10 per 500 more than the other 3. Its the beginning of Varmint season, so these light weight bullets have been hard to come by, just check often. PV was in stock for about 3 days. Speer also has a 110 HP that has a huge cavity, surprisingly the 20 that I have tested in my 300blk have fed, but they are short. the standard Speer 130gr HP has the same size hole, but a lot longer bullet profile, they just cost about $28 per 100. The Speer 125gr TNT HP have a small opening, but a long profile, flat base, they work well all around and if you watch, you can find them for about $100 per 500 bulk pack. Noslers work well, but cost twice as much. The sierra 125gr plastic tips work well, but again, pricey. the 110gr Barnes are stupid expensive and come in 50 boxes. Any of these should work fine in a .308 bolt gun, but your mileage will vary if your shooting an AR10

Not sure if that request for load data was for me or the other guys. But for my 300blk, the Sierra 125 TNT's, im running between 2.050 to 2.060 COL, 18.0gr of H110. Out of my 8" Noveske bbl, my chrono tells me their running average about 1985fps. I ran them at 18.5 and with the soft batch of CCI400s, I started seeing cratering on the primer around 2010fps. My brother runs them at 19.0 in a 9" AAC at closer to 2100fps with no issues. They work fairly well on rock chucks and coyotes. My chamber is shorter than my bro's AAC, he gets away with 2.100 COL easily.

I've used 40 gr of Reloder 7 which gave me about 2900fps out of a 16" barrel and was super soft recoiling. Also used 42.5gr IMR 8208. Haven't chronoed it yet but probably similar performance. I don't recall the OAL but I seat about the bullet into the case. Both loads flawlessly cycle my 308 AR, and I can tune the gas lower for minimal recoil.