Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Optic for M&P Core Ported

Mike in CT

• 4 months later...

I guess I don't understand the question asked by the OP. The dot can be placed anywhere in the window. As long as the dot is on target, no matter where it's seen in the window, the bullet will hit close to the dot. Nothing gets in the way as long as the dot is used properly. It's not used in conjunction with the irons, it's used instead of the irons.

What am I missing? Again, I don't understand the question.

I'm using a RMR RM06 on mine with no problems. I don't even see the irons unless I look for them. I look at the target and the dot blots out where I want the bullet to go; it couldn't be simpler. Most times it happens in the center of the window. That just happens, I don't make it happen that way consciously. Maybe I use the front sight to find the dot, but again, I don't consciously do that. The dot's just there in the window.

For people who have never used a cowitnessed pistol dot, it's hard to understand exactly how the process works. I know because I was there, too. I was afraid that the cowitnessed irons would block out half the already small window when you look through the glass to see the dot. I think what he's looking for is BUIS that line up on target at the lower 1/3.

The thing to understand is that as long as you can see the dot in the window, regardless of where it is placed in the window, it will generally still hit where the dot is. So if you look at the window using the BUIS properly lined up, the dot will appear on the top of the front sight. If you look "over" the sights and place the dot on the target, it will still hit POA/POI even if the angle is such that the rear BUIS isn't even blocking any of the glass. So, with a lower 1/3 cowitness, when using the BUIS, the dot will be in the lower 1/3 as well. When placing the dot in the center of the glass or higher, BUIS aren't going to be lined up.

I guess the best thing to say is simply that it's not going to be as busy as he's afraid it will be assuming the combo of sights and dot are of a height of that cowitness lower 1/3. A combo I have that works in that aspect is the RMR with the CORE's stock sights. (I just wish there were no dots on the rear sight.) The FF3 has a taller base so the tops of the factory sights barely clear it.