Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W E Series Thoughts?

ArrDave

Just ordered one of these for a decent price off Buds. I've handled them before and they feel decent, never shot one.

I personally was looking for a decent 1911 that just needed grips, a mag well, and sights to use as a backup for competition.

Why aren't E series popular? They come in at the same price point as the Sig 1911s, they both have external extractors. Hilton Yam seems quite pleased with the example he had. They're the same price approximately as a Springer RO or Loaded.

They have the features of a Loaded plus front strap checkering.

Why is there zero buzz on the net about these things? Did I do something stupid?

S&W is not exactly known for the "best" 1911's in the world. Im not saying they're bad, they just have basically zero press.

I think SIG does so "well" with their 1911's because they're flying off of the rep built around the 226 series of pistols. I mean, the 226 is used by the Navy Seals so their 1911's must be equally awesome...right?

I have some trigger time on a few E series guns and i had zero gripes. Ive seen a few of the 5 inch pro series guns come up for under 1000 and i was seriously tempted. Briley Spherical bushings, adjustable rear sights, nice barrel fits, nice checkering etc etc.

S&W is not exactly known for the "best" 1911's in the world. Im not saying they're bad, they just have basically zero press.

I think SIG does so "well" with their 1911's because they're flying off of the rep built around the 226 series of pistols. I mean, the 226 is used by the Navy Seals so their 1911's must be equally awesome...right?

I have some trigger time on a few E series guns and i had zero gripes. Ive seen a few of the 5 inch pro series guns come up for under 1000 and i was seriously tempted. Briley Spherical bushings, adjustable rear sights, nice barrel fits, nice checkering etc etc.

You ain't lying about zero press. Google anything "E Series", even thrown in USPSA and IDPA and there is next to nothing. The Sig 1911 and this launched around the same time and the Sig is doing wildly better. Truth told, Sig is bothering to make some really pretty ones so i guess that helps. While the E series grips look awful.

Its not a pretty gun as you said. They're very plain looking and that doesnt help sales, at all. People are more inclined to buy a Ruger or a Springfield that looks like a regular 1911 than something that breaks the mold, ie the e-series.

The proprietary rear sight cut on the E-series is also a turn off to some but there ARE sight options so is not that big of a deal to anyone that is slightly above average in experience and actually WANTS to change their sights.

One more thing hurting the gun is the fact that for whatever reason, i have NEVER seen these pistols below a grand in price (besides those used PC guns). Online, they're in the 700 dollar range but in any store ive ever been in, these things are wildly overpriced whereas you can go and get an RO for the mid 700's. I think that also factors into why they dont appear to be selling well.

For me, it's probably more aesthetics than anything. I hate the fish scale serrations on the slides. I prefer the more traditional styling of a Colt or Springfield in that price range.

Edited by tha1000

I have one. I'm a fan. I havent had any issues with mine at all. I agree that the biggest problem is Smith's rep. Known for Revo's. Pushed the M&P pistols and rifles hard. Their 1911's are kindof invisible.

• 2 weeks later...

just got back from the gun store looking at commanders... I have to say next to the Dan Wesson the S&W E SC series felt the best. I liked the base line SC and not the performance center from a trigger perspective. Throw some grips on one of those and it's "done". Obviously didn't shoot any of them, but handled a couple different Sig carry models, the new Ruger lightweight commander, Dan Wesson CCO and VBOB. The S&W felt "lesser" than the DW but not by a whole lot. The S&W SC had an idiot mark on it already.