Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester 231 powder different than 25 years ago?

reloader901

The short version is I used to shoot local IPSC matches in the 1990's. Was never chrono'd and didn't have one at the time.

Typically shot .45 ACP with 5.1-5.3 gn of 231 with 230gn lead bullets.

Bought some CFE Pistol today thinking I would try it.

Went to Hodgdon's site today to compare CFE with Win 231. (I'm not including the CFE specs here).

Hodgson's Reloading Data Center:

For 230 gn bullets it says the low end for Win 231 is 4.3 gn and the high end is 5.3 gn.

The book I used in the 1990's "Speer Reloading Manual number 11" (1987) says the range for Win 231 with 230gn bullet is:

5.1 - 5.6gn

Has Win 231 changed in the past 25 years?

Edited by reloader901

It may very well have changed over that long of a time, but remember also that whatever Hodgdon uses and whatever Speer uses on bullets may be different. Same deal if they use different primers, cases, and so on. Check on the OAL and the bullet profile for sure.

If you like 231, try some Hodgdon HP-38. I've been told it's the same powder.

It isn't so much that I like 231... just I started with 231, I've been using it for many years, and was too lazy to try something else.

After reading your post I compared Win 231 and HP-38 (.45acp, 230 grain bullet) here: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol The specs are exactly the same... interesting.

I'm still wondering about my original post question. I just ordered a couple of reloading manuals from my local library (Speer from 2007, and Hornady 2007). I am interested to see what the 231 specs are in those manuals.

If you like 231, try some Hodgdon HP-38. I've been told it's the same powder.

It isn't so much that I like 231... just I started with 231, I've been using it for many years, and was too lazy to try something else.

After reading your post I compared Win 231 and HP-38 (.45acp, 230 grain bullet) here: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol The specs are exactly the same... interesting.

I'm still wondering about my original post question. I just ordered a couple of reloading manuals from my local library (Speer from 2007, and Hornady 2007). I am interested to see what the 231 specs are in those manuals.

That's because HP38 and W231 are the same powders. Long time known fact confirmed by Hodgdon and Winchester. That there is a difference is a myth that just won't go away. :ph34r: