Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun recommendations

Dewberry

I'm about to start loading 9 mm for 3 gun only, so I'm not worried about power factor at all.

I'm going to shoot 147 hp from xtreme bullets

How low of a velocity/power factor are yall comfortable running to knock over 3 gun steel?

I shoot a M&P 9mm, am going to have to change recoil springs for reduced power loads?

I'm still learning so all advice is welcome.

Edited by Dewberry

Regular steel doesn't matter too much.. but some targets benefit from higher power factors. if you have spinners for instance. I always carry 2 types of 9MM now. 130pf and some about 150.. just in case

Im mostly worried about poppers that may be a little heavy.

Do you have to change recoil springs between two loads?

Regular steel doesn't matter too much.. but some targets benefit from higher power factors. if you have spinners for instance. I always carry 2 types of 9MM now. 130pf and some about 150.. just in case

Im mostly worried about poppers that may be a little heavy.

Do you have to change recoil springs between two loads?

Stock recoil spring should be fine, 150 pf is about the same PF as most 147gr +P Self defense ammo

springs.. I don't change them.. practice will show if there's any issues.. I'm more concerned about 100% reliability than anything else

poppers.. same thing... we generally don't see those issues as much, but your right, they happen

we'll have spinners every match.. maybe 2-3 spinners between the 4 stages just for the pistol. in my own tests I know how many hits it takes for light 9mm/heavy 9 and 40 to spin them over. so i load the mags and position them accordingly

Poppers/plates are calibrated to minor. The MGM swinger, though not legal for USPSA, is used at many 3 guns. That benefits from a much higher floor. I used to run my G20 10mm with 200 grain bullets just at 1,000 fps.

I run a xdm 5.25 with a 124gr bayou bullet that only chrono at 980fps so just under making minor pf. I load it at 1.160 with 3.2g of titegroup. Never have had an issue with small or large poppers or knockdown steel.

I ran 124 extremes in my g17 with a reduced recoil spring. I always loaded to make minor pf. For me they had better results on steel than factory 115's. I would think that 147's loaded to minor would be similar or even better

Not sure what spring works for the m&p or load data for the heavier bullet