Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What current (2015) parts to refresh old style SVI mags?

jtaylor996

Just got my SVI and its mags. They are old style 40 mags. 1 is 126mm with a green follower, 2 are red follower 140mm, and 2 are black follower 140mm.

Basepads all look stock. I doubt they've been tuned in any shape or form. I can just barely get 15 rounds in the 126, but I highly doubt I could load it with a closed slide. I can get 19 in the red 140, with a little more room available. I didn't test the black 140s.

What pads/springs/followers should be I be looking at to get max capacity out of these?

There are lots of brands and options out there. What do you guys like, what works best?

What is legal for various matches? (note: my local club matches nobody cares about this stuff, and the only other matches I see myself shooting in the next year are 3gun, which aren't likely to care much).

I used the SVI ultra capacity followers and springs with my older SVI mags. Capped them off with TTI 4G basepads and they are good to go with 23 rounds of 9mm reloadable. I haven't updated my older .40 mags as of yet, but will probably go the same route with them.

• 1 year later...

rob1125. I am about to freshen up 6 140mm 40 s&w old svi mags. I purchased red competition followers from infinity what springs would you suggest? I have dawson +1 base pads. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Kevin

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I would get the SVI spring. It is already fit to their follower. I have used the 10 coil springs, but if doing it again I would get the 13 coil and test them. If I didn't get the capacity and functioning I was looking for I would start trimming the springs. I hear people have had good luck with between 11 and 12 coils. Have not tested them myself.

Hello: I would get some ISMI springs and cut them to fit the SVI follower you are using. These springs last a very long time. I am using TTI spring and followers with Dawson SNL base pads. Check with the gauge to make sure they are legal. Thanks, Eric

Interestingly, I just talked to SVI about this very subject. I was told there are three differences between the old and new style tubes. The only one that matters (unless you have the mag release on the right side) is the shape of the feed lips. If the mags run in the gun, you will have no issues when upgrading to new SVI springs and followers. If you are using them in a different gun, some tuning may be required. I was also told that you could kink the first coil of the spring upwards a little bit so the follower would engage and go to slide lock when empty. Evidently, that is a requirement for 3-gun.